1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gave away my last rooster today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by F106A, Jul 8, 2011.

1. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Well, that was easy. Out of the eighteen chicks I got this season (end of March) I ended up with two White Leghorn roos, and one Buff Wyandotte roo. (I figure 17% is about average.) The Leghorns were just rowdy, and had to go. I dropped them off at the feed store with their permission about three weeks ago. The Wyandotte was actually pretty laid back, and if wasn't for the city ordinance I would have loved to keep him. He was huge -- one of the biggest, young roosters my wife and I have ever seen -- and I just loved that rose comb! Very cool looking!

Anyway, thanks to the local feed shop for taking the Leghorns, and allowing me to advertise for the Wyandotte. I posted the note on their BB around noon, and by 3:30 I had a call from a rancher just outside town. He told me for some reason the roosters he has in his flock always leave (he free ranges). He doesn't think it's predators, as the hens are fine. Danged if I know, but he was happy to take the roo off my hands. I was in such a rush to meet the rancher I forgot to snap a couple recent photos that roo! Oh well, probably easier to avoid painful memories! HA! (Kidding!) Here's a shot of him from the last time I did get a photo with son #2.

So, if anyone needs to get rid of their roos, and haven't tried their local feed store, give 'em a try. Worked for me!

Mark

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by