Gave away one of my ladies today

soccergirl83

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Hi all,

I'm feeling a little down so I figured I would ramble a little. I raised 9 sweet Buff Orpingtons from baby chicks purchased in January. We only have a permit to own 8 chickens, but delayed getting rid of the odd egg in case one turned out to be a rooster, in case one had trouble laying, etc, etc.

Well they all turned out beautiful, friendly and great layers. A week ago I saw an add on CL from a lady looking for hens for her little boy. I messaged her and we just met up. I gave her one of my golden girls. The little boy was very excited, and described his other chickens to me - two barred rocks. One sounds kind of aggressive.

I hope she's okay. I hope the new owners have a nice coop, and I hope she gets spoiled by the little boy. I hope the other two chickens don't beat her up. I hope the urban predators don't hurt her. I hope she's doing okay in a strange place tonight.

I know I did the right thing. If someone complains, I'd rather be following the city ordinances than not. I told the lady if anything happens to please give her back to me.

I'm sorry you had to give away one of your Buff Orpington hens. It's always sad to lose one of our flock, but you did the right thing. I especially understand how you feel considering the breed you have. We've raised Buff Orpingtons for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are one of the friendliest and gentlest breeds we have ever had. My children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours. Take good care of the eight ones you still have. :eek:)

Thanks for your kind words. I actually just got an email from the lady updating me about how my girl is fitting in. They gave her a name - Sunshine- and she's by far the friendliest! She hangs out with a white Polish hen they introduced at the same time, so she has a buddy too! It makes me so happy to know shes doing well. :D :D

Thanks for your kind words. I actually just got an email from the lady updating me about how my girl is fitting in. They gave her a name - Sunshine- and she's by far the friendliest! She hangs out with a white Polish hen they introduced at the same time, so she has a buddy too! It makes me so happy to know shes doing well. :D :D

You're welcome. It's nice to know that things are going well for Sunshine (cute name). :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom