Gave broody BLRW pullet a chick (pics)

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
This is Anu, a BLRW pullet, about 9 months old. She went broody about 2 weeks ago. Not what I wanted as my coop spaces are tight right now, and I want her eggs to hatch along with other BLRWs. So I decided to give her a male sexlink chick from an incubator hatch. I wasn't sure it would work - the chick was already 5-6 days old and she was only on the nest 2 weeks. BUT...she adopted him after I slid him in with her Friday night. All is well 2 full days later.

She's had him off the nest, outdoors with the rest of the flock. Here they are after coming back inside for the evening.

Anu_chick2.jpg

I loved the conversation they were havng in this one.

Anu_chick1.jpg

She's a great Mom so far. She even managed to get him back up in the nest with her - 18" off the floor! - by nightfall when I went to lock-up the coops. I coudn't believe it. I gave her another male sexlink chick. If she does OK with both of them tomorrow, I may give her the whole brood of 14 from my hatch.

Mine hatched 4 of her own and I gave her 11 more!! LOL!! She just clucked clucked clucked at them like they were her own and
fluffed up a little so they could all pile under her. It was sooooo cute and soooo much better than me having to try and keep them warm ect.
Have fun!!

Quote:
How cute!
love.gif
This is really good information because I have a broody Blue Wyandotte hen that has been sitting on golf balls for weeks now!! I have BLRW eggs due to hatch on June 2nd and it would be great if she would adopt them!! Now I feel more confident about trying this!!
yippiechickie.gif
THANKS!
big_smile.png

Thanks for your replies.

woot.gif

She had BOTH babies with her this morning, safe and sound. Tonight I'm moving her and giving her more!

It poured rain last night so I didn't get to move Anu and the 2 chicks. They were all snuggled back in the nest box together. BOTH babies had gotten back up there with her. They must be able to fly enough to get up the 18".

Thanks for the compliments. She has a "twin" that I call Danu. Looks just like her, same dark blue lacing. I'm excited about them. I managed to get 2 chicks from them in this last hatch. Trying for more over Summer.

Back
Top Bottom