Gave CPR to a six day old chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sandra M, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Sandra M

Sandra M New Egg

New to all of this so some history!

I bought my eight year daughter two Light Sussexs for her birthday last October. They became broody a few months later so we popped some fertilised under their bottoms and out popped three (two to Ruby and one to Lucy). Ruby was a dreadful mother and rejected her chicks straight away so we handed them over to the pet shop to get them a bit bigger so they could hold their own - Lucy was a great mother.

So anyway one of the chicks was a boy and so went to a small-holding (not a euphemism!) and the other we brought home along with an adopted one (these three chicks are Pekins). In June LooLou the lavendar Pekin suddenly died (found by my daughter) and was given a lovely funeral and my daughter has a photograph of her in an antique photo frame next to her bed and has travelled as far as Cuba! So the second Pekin (Penelope) became broody a month or so ago and we popped four eggs under her. Only one hatched and we adopted an orphan from the pet shop - Penelope and her mum Lucy are sharing the rearing and both chicks are happy to cuddle with either but we haven't got the heart to remove the failed eggs from Penelope as she resolutely sits on them (we are looking for a fresh batch for her).

So just as I go to do school-run I glance over to the chickens and spot just one chick with Lucy; I decide to see if the other is with Penelope - no it's not - it's on the floor looking like a dead fledging. My language was rather fruity to say the least but I whipped her up and she was not suffering from rigor mortis - more ****** and blinding and I start rubbing its chest and then gave it the kiss of life, and repeated this a couple of times in between swearing like a trooper. AND IT MOVED - IT MOVED!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG IT MOVED!!!! I jumped in the car driving with a half dead chick in one hand, trying to make alternative school-run arrangements with the other and never stopped swearing until I got to the pet shop a hundred yards down the road and burst through the door like a sceen from ER!

So we popped the chick under the heat lamp and after 30 minutes he/she opened his/her eyes and after a while was able to stand up and poo three times and have a little water. I took the chick home and he/she waddled to his/her sibling and the sibling greeted him/her and both went under their mother's belly.

So they are tucked up in bed and hopefully all is alright. I haven't got a clue as to what happened - he/she is smaller than the other chick (I think they are both Silkies) and his/her bottom was pulsating but has managed to poo three times. Whilst under the heat lamp the chick had a tiny bit of water but refused food. Just now though he/she ate some that I put in the nesting area so here's hoping. I cleaned out their housing a week ago and had planned to clean it out again tomorrow - should I sterilise it?

Any ideas on what has happened would be great - but my children and friends are deeply impressed by the CPR!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds to me like she was sat on or stepped on by one of the hens and you came along in time to save her. Good for you. Sounds like nice people at the pet shop. I hope things go well for you from now on.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sandra M, and :welcome. Nice save on that baby chick! :thumbsup
    Best of luck and enjoy your flock!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community -great that you have joined us and congrats of saving your chick.

Best wishes
    CT

6. Sandra M

Sandra M New Egg

Well the chick survived the night when I checked at 08:00 this morning. He/she has been outside with the grown-ups for a couple of hours but at 10:00 I noticed that there is a limp that wasn't there yesterday or at 08:00. I'm wondering whether he/she is being bullied even though I can't see any wound marks. I've now brought him/her inside with the sibling sharing a box under a heat lamp with water and chick crumb. His/her peeping is weaker than the siblings so I'm thinking I'm going to have to hand-rear this one. I've checked for a dirty bottom and can't see anything; his/her bottom is pulsating far more than the sibling - is this a sign of something?

Thank you for your kind welcomes.

Sandra

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. Sandra M

Sandra M New Egg

Update. Okay I had no choice but to take the chick to the vet. In fact the babysitter had to because I had to go to London for an event. So it seems that my fighter has got an internal hematoma probably because he/she was trodden on (not by a human!). I had to peel away from the event because the vet needed to speak to me about 'what to do next' - I burst into tears and said 'I don't care how much it costs!' So he/she has been given injections and I'm to give a daily dose of the anti-inflammatory Metacam. I've also decided to separate him/her from his/her feathered family because it's never going to work out until he/she is stronger. Has anyone got experience of internal injuries?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by