gave flock to new home

gingerpeach22

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Fairbanks
My mixed flock never stopped picking on each other - featherless neck, above the tail, under the tail; chasing hard, etc. I tried everything. So, a nice chicken lady took all seven girls yesterday. She has roosters which I do not. That alone, along with learning a new pecking order with strangers should at least disrupt their pattern. But one girl was dear to my heart, a big light brahma girl who always streaked to my lap and wedged half under my arm. On our last day, I sat in the sun and held her forever while she totally relaxed and closed her eyes, safe from others. I will very much miss my sweet girl.
I think one taught another, copied by yet another, until the pattern was set. I so envy photos of people's flocks which look like they should. I feel guilty because my husband spent so much time and money building the perfect coop and run for interior Alaska.
56124_light_brahma.jpg
56124_chickens.jpg

Last edited:
You'll have better luck next time. I had to give up my whole flock of six pullets recently and my older pullets were always picking on the younger ones. If they all grow up together they will have a better chance of liking or at least tolerating each other.
hugs.gif

Melissa, you are a very good chicken mama to have done what you did. It is a testament to the love you felt for your birds. You have put their needs above your own. The thing about raising chickens is that the start up cost is so high (feeders, coop, brooder, brooder lamp, etc...). The cost of chickens is so minimal once all of that is out of the way! When you are ready, you'll have everything in place for another flock. I know you have to grieve the girls you lost, but please remember what a loving act it was that you did.
hugs.gif

~Kelly~
My Country Chronicles Blog

Thank you all for your comforting words. The downside of any animal is that when you love them and tend to them, the void is great when they depart. The upside, well you all know! I proudly call myself an animal person, rescuing wasps from the dog bowl, putting flies outside the house, you name it, I care for it if it falls across my path through life.

Back
Top Bottom