Gave goat away to good home...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by HatchingFever, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Ok so we gave our goats away to a good because we could not handle them any longer that was 2 saturdays ago we just got a call that my favorite goat lilly died for no reason so she called and offered us a baby goat and nelly lillys sister back but im so heart broken and confused right now can anyone help and we gave THEM THE GOATS FOR FREE is they promised them a good home we also gave them 2 and a half bales of alfalfa for the goat what should i do

2. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Yes take them back and find them a different home. If they're offering them back either they realized that they couldn't take care of them properly or they're afraid your goats are sick and will get rid of them perhaps less discrimanately than you would. I'm sorry that Lilly died. I adore goats. They do get stressed easily so be careful moving them if you do decide to bring them back to your home.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I personally would take them back... if nothing else... YOU can find a better home for them since you are attached to them and the other people are not.

I LOVED my goat when I had them.

5. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I am so sorry. How did she die? If they don't want them anymore, I'd take them back and find them a new home.

6. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Well, what were the terms of this agreement? Were they still your goats and they were simply holding on to them for you? Or did you literally GIVE the goats away, therefore making the goats the other family's property?

I'm sorry your favorite goat died, but if you gave them away then they're no longer your responsibility.

I'm confused as to why they'd offter to give you back a kid and the other goat when you stated you couldn't handle the 2 goats you had before. Has something else changed? Is Lilly's death their fault - meaning they refused to feed her or injured her in some way? If it "just happened" it could have "just happened" for many reasons, including the stress of moving to a new home.

If I "gave" the goats to someone with the condition that the goats would return to me at some predetermined time, then I would accept the kid and other goat back at that predetermined time.

If I GAVE UP the goats to someone and now the goats are solely their responsibilty, morn her loss and that's about all you can do.

If you can give the kid and Lilly's sister a better home than you could before you gave your goats away, great - take them and move forward. If not, I'm sorry to say there's little you can do but cut your losses.

It's true that some people may 'care' more than others about goats, but just because she died does not mean these people aren't good caretakers based on the little information we have.

And FWIW, I've been given free goats and I've paid over $200 for 1 goat. There's no difference to me where they came from - once they step into my car/on my property their mine and I can do what I wish with them be it give them away to someone else or sell/keep them. I've promised one of the people who gave me 2 registered goats for free that I'd take good care of them and give them a good home. If they happen to die at some point soon (I've only had them for 2 months) then it is what it is. I sure wouldn't offer them a kid and the other goat back, though - they were given to me without the condition they'd return to their former home someday.

7. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:Agreed. They are no longer yours.....goats die evreyday from causes we do not know about. If you gave them away due to you not being able to care for them...you certainly don't need a baby goat....they feel bad about it or they would not have offered the baby or the other goat back. I am sure it was nothing they did wrong. I am sorry....but once you gave them Away..... it is no longer your responsibility. There is really nothing you can do. The fact that you gave them away for free has nothing to do with the situation. If it was something they did wrong....or unknowingly did that caused her death...get the other one back and rehome it to someone that is knowledgeable about goats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by