Gave my broody a chick(UPDATE PICS ADDED)

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
Wish it luck!!! My Ameraucana has been broody over 3 weeks and last week I had to remove her 6 eggs because she abandoned them for a better looking nest of freshly laid eggs. They were completely cold but I saw movement so put them in the bator. So these 6 have started to hatch this morning... I waited until it was completely dark and took one of the two that have already hatched out to the coop and placed the baby near the back of her. It laid right next to my broody for a minute or two chortling quietly to his/her new momma. My broody kept looking over toward it then finally gave a couple of soft clucks, lifted her rear and the chick disppeared underneath her. Tomorrow will tell if it worked or not but so far so good.

Last edited:
I've had great luck doing that. I'd give her the rest of them that hatch tomorrow night.
smile.png
Love those broody girls!

So you think that was successful since she let it under her? How do I do the rest? Do I put one in the nest wait til she let's it under then do another and wait etc? I have one still in the brooder and two more pipped.

If she accepts this chick then go ahead and give her the rest that hatch, make sure she is in a place by herself and has food and water available for her and her chicks.
smile.png

Picture is needed .. when you get around to getting one!
big_smile.png

I do it at night and I stick the chicks under her not just next to her. I use a headlamp and try to keep the light off them as much as possible. When they wake up in the morning they're a happy little family.

You are both awesome and very encouraging thank you!!! I will add the rest in the dark tonight. My Ameraucana is sitting tight today with her new baby... She wanted so much to be a momma that she was helping my Cochin bantam with her chick. My Cochin bantam is low on the totem pole but my flock has been really patient and accepting with her three hatches she has had this year. Only problem has been twice she has lost a chick to being stepped on by a biggie. I even have pics of the chick she has now, running around under the rooster pecking food off the ground... Now it is two weeks old and jumps right in the middle of the biggies into the open food bowl and eats right there with them. Some give this Sheesh look and move to the main feeder. I don't think the Am will have any problems protecting the chicks as she is like number two one the totem pole and she is a real devil at protecting her nest she is brooding at the time... She'll eat your hand off. I'll post pics in a few days when they are out and about! I've had broodies hatch out and care for their babies but never snuck any under them so was nervous about it.
Thanks again!

Great news! Hopefully she will readily accept the rest. She should since eggs hatch at different rates anyway. Nothing like having a mama hen to take care of the babies!
smile.png

Robin'sBrood :

Great news! Hopefully she will readily accept the rest. She should since eggs hatch at different rates anyway. Nothing like having a mama hen to take care of the babies!
smile.png

Yeah! Keeps them out of the basement! But as it is I will still have a handful left in the brooder downstairs because one is too old to add, another is the only one I had to hatch of my Silkie eggs I bought and then my Marans aren't due til next weekend.​

Back
Top Bottom