Gave my broody eggs tonight...first time for both of us...anyone else start some today, 4-4-12?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyoChickenMamma, Apr 4, 2012.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    She has been broody on and off since Thanksgiving. I finally gave in and gave her some fertilized eggs my neighbor gave me tonight. We set her up with a nice safe place in the coop, she nestled right down on them, it was heart warming to see. I am keeping my fingers crossed for her and the chicks. :)

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    This is my second year with chickens and as of this afternoon, I have 3 broody hens. My entire flock is 3 roosters and 10 hens. I have a Polish-silkie frizzle, a partridge Showgirl and a buff bantam Cochin all sitting on eggs. The Cochin just laid her first egg ever 4 weeks ago. This is all new to me too. 2 of the girls have decided to go broody in the same spot where all the hens like to lay, so I'm having to remove eggs daily from under the hens. I marked an 'X' on the eggs I let them have and remove others daily. The Cochin only has one egg so I may give her 2 more tomorrow. I should candle her eggs tonight....I think I will.

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    OOOH! I was looking for a thread such as this. I have an old(ish) hen who loves to go broody at least once a year. I have never let her raise a clutch because of various reasons. I also have a few of her old(ish) daughters.
    Well it looks like she's going there again and I have someone who can deliver some fertile eggs.
    Oh my gosh. I'm about to embark on yet a new chicken journey.
    I hope your brooding hen has every success. So exciting.

4. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    Well egg update one...I went down to check on them, count them for the night and lock them in their coop. Well stupid me, I put a dish of food in with her...the other hens found it, ran her out of the area, ate all the food and in the process scattered all 7 eggs. The eggs were just layed today at my neighbors place, so I think they should be good...guess it depends on how rough the other girls where in their feeding frenzy. My broody hen was in another nest box. So gathered the eggs back up, put her back on them and she settled right back down on them. I will go back to check on them before I go to bed, if she is off of them I guess I will have to crate her or something. I don't think it is because she doesn't want to be on them, I think it is because she was run off so they could get to the food. So lesson learned on my part. :(

I just have this vision of those eggs being "scrambled" by the other girls kicking them around to get the food out of the bedding. :(

5. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I just set eggs last night. 29 if I remember correctly... 6 turkey eggs, 6 hatch, and idk how many off hand of my greys and my white clarets

6. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    I just checked in on her when I was collecting eggs from the other girls. Another hen was on those eggs, she was in the next box over on one egg that was layed today. I moved the other hen off and put her back on them. I am a bit concerned that she is so low in the pecking order that the others will push her off all the time. Wondering if I should move her to a crate or something away from the usual nesting boxes. I originally had her on the floor last night, but that was a mistake...I am guessing because of the food dish. Do you think I could move her back to that little space on the floor? I am so new at this and so is she...just want to give them all the best chance I can for a successful hatch.

7. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The other hen may have just pushed her out of that spot so she could lay her egg in there. Check back in a few hours and see who's sitting on those. Consider marking the eggs you want her to hatch so that new eggs can be removed daily.

8. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    I think you are right, the other hen was just wanting to use that box, but she is a super heavy bird and is known for breaking eggs, so I just moved her to another box and put Rosa back in on her eggs. I love watching her check them all and then settling down in on them again. :) She has been on them every time I have checked on her since. It will be interesting to see if other hens try to lay in her box today. She kinda growled and flattened herself down on them last night when my husband was in the coop to adjust the automatic door. So perhaps she is getting more protective. I numbered them all before I put them in with her, they are all brown and most of my girls lay a brown egg, so it would be difficult to know what is hers and what is not.

How is everyone else doing with their broodies???

9. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    My buff bantam cochin pullet isn't sure if she wants to go broody or not so I'm gonna take her eggs until she's sure. I have incubators going full speed at all times right now, so I just put them in there. My year old broody, Sissy, is still sitting and is due next week. I candled last night and all is on schedule and looking good, but my Jersey Giant insists on laying her egg on top of Sissy every day. They must have it worked out because everything seems fine. My second Broody is a year old partridge Showgirl named Show-Stopper and there are 2 other girls who demand to lay their eggs in her spot (it was previously everyone's spot). The eggs they're on are a variety of all the hens. When I reach in everyday to look for new eggs, I feel the girls' crops and if the crop is empty, i remove them from their nest and out into the run. They go take a huge poop, drink, eat, scratch, dust bathe and after 30 minutes or so, back on the nest. They do growl at me but don't peck or bite me, so that helps.

10. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    It just amazes me how they can go for so long with minimal food, water and exercise. I just love my girls. It is truly amazing to me how much instinct they have regarding incubating and hatching eggs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by