Gave my broody some fertile eggs - 7/2 hatch

sheaviance1

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Tennessee
I give up, nothing has worked to break her. She is more stubborn than I am, so I gave her 6 fertile eggs to hatch for me today. I am so excited it isn't funny, maybe I'll finally get a roo!!!

I had a silkie that did the same thing! She flattened out like a pancake and was so dead set on, well, setting that I gave her some fertile eggs to sit on. We had only a young roo at the time, so I wasn't sure how fertile they were, but one did hatch--the day after Easter and surrogate Mom was soooo precious and protective. The weird thing was that when the chick reached three weeks old, the biological Mom wanted her back. How the hen knew that was hers is beyond me, but she had incredible persistence. Such drama. Yes, it is exciting and I am left in awe of what a perfect system nature made with broody hens. I can't wait until she goes broody again! I'm excited for you--Here is little Ostara peeking out from under Mama #1's wing

I gave my silkie four eggs a good three days after she made it clear she was broody. I candled them a week later and none were fertile so I switched them out for three different eggs. Including the three days she spent refusing to give up on the last egg, she sat there for over thirty days. I had to put the food and water right under her nose because she was NOT gonna get up. She did kick one out on hatch day and it turned out to be a way underdeveloped one that must have died withing the first week. But as long as she sensed SOME thing was going on she was rooted.

Back
Top Bottom