1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gave my chicks a treat today....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, May 17, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    My son didn't finish all his scrambled eggs so i took them into my five and six week old chicks. I had tried giving them yogurt, oatmeal and apple sauce in the past but it seemed to freak them out. They wouldn't try it. However today they went right after the eggs. It was very cute.

I had put them all out in their coop but with this 100+ degree weather i've brought them back in. Now that they have had all that jumping and flying practice in the coop they don't care much for the big box they are in. Dh went to brush his teeth last night in the master bathroom and he comes in and says "one of your chicks flew the coop".......sure enough Loretta was roaming the bathroom pooping every where. I'm not sure how long she had been roaming. Thank goodness she didn't make it in to my bedroom. I just got new bedding and that wouldn't have been nice at all.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They do love those treats, don't they? I feed mine occasional eggs, only I hard boil mine. Try some cheerios or some millet. You can buy the millet in the pet bird section at the grocery store. I've learned to take the empty millet stem away from them after they've stripped it bare, otherwise they try to eat it too.
    I can't imagine having 5 week old chicks in the house! Mine are creating enough havoc being on the screened porch. Wish I could trade you one or two of those hot days for our rainy ones. Maybe then the coop would get finished.

3. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    The girls had half a hard boiled egg this morning - it took a bit before they would get close, but the loved it once they got those beaks in there.

[​IMG]

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by