Gave my first chicken bath

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mediazeal, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    And he loved it. I had no idea chickens loved baths.
    I filled the sink about half his height and he sad right down in it.
    I had to hold his head up since he was closing his eyes and enjoying his 'spa day.'
    I stood him on the edge of the sink while I drained and filled it with the rinse bath and he happily plopped back in.
    He even was ok with the towel drying and blow drying.
    He's chortling to me from the dog crate now as he eats apples and crumbles and dries really well overnight.

2. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    My silkies LOVE their baths. I have not attempted to bathe my EEs or Orpingtons because they haven't needed it, but I imagine most would love the attention/warmth!

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Are you sure he's not part duck? [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so glad that I stumbled on to this thread. I have several Salmon Faverolles that desperately need baths. I wasn't very confident that giving a chicken a bath would be something that I would survive, let alone my sweet little hen. But now I think I have a more confident outlook on giving a chicken a bath. I will have to let you all know how it goes tomorrow. [​IMG] Christina

6. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Whenever my birds get kinda dirty they take a shower with me. They love it! Or mabey it's just the extra attention.

7. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I give my silkies a bath all the time.

Daily they get their feet wiped with Cottenelle wipes, VetRx on their beaks, feet and under their wings as well as poultry protector spray. As much as I try to prevent it they end up getting poop on their feathers or yogurt in the top knots.

Every couple of weeks they get a bath:
    I bathe them individually. To do so I fill up the utility sink with warm water and Adams shampoo and place them in it. Then I lather, rinse with the sprayer (to keep the water away from their nostrils) and repeat with Blue Ribbon. Finally I wash their face and top knot with Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
    After they get wrapped like a burrito in a big towel that has been heated in a warming drawer and then blown dry on low heat. The final touch is VetRx under their wings and around their vent as well as some baby oil on their beak and feet before they go under the heating lamp.
    There is nothing better than snuggling with a clean chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by