Gave my Rooster a dust bath today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redoak, Feb 13, 2009.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    This morning I noticed my rooster Leo had a bum that was more red than normal. Upon closer inspection I noticed a couple mites. I've been giving the chickens a bucket full of wood ashes every week to dust bath in. I put the ashes in a cat litter box and they all dive in, except today it occured to me that I've never seen Leo dust bathing in the wood ashes. So I took matters into my own hands and gave him a dust bath. He didn't like it and I didn't like it one bit. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd be willing to bet you got more dust than Leo did? Oh dear!

3. I'M On Island Time

I'M On Island Time Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Chain O'Lakes IL
    Sorry about your roo's mites, but this was pretty funny.

I can picture him flapping his wings and spraying dust all over everything but himself!

4. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Maybe add some food-grade DE to the dust bath and bedding as a future preventative? If one's got mites, you probably need to assume the others do too and change out bedding in the coop. Pesticide based on your own personal choices. The image of anyone trying to give any chicken a forced dust bath in wood ashes does make me chuckle a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by