Gave my silkies haircuts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Feb 18, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    And they are changed birds! Lol!

My Daisy was always ducking his head (yes, I said his, that is what comes from naming a chick before knowing their sex) and hiding under the roost bars at night. I just went to check on him and he is proudly sitting on the roost up front. I think I saw him smiling. Topspin seemed happier too. She was sitting with the big girls for a change tonight. She usually cowers in the corner.

I just trimmed a little of the feathers off both of their heads above their eyes. They both acted like they were suddenly not blind. So glad I did it. I will keep an eye on how they act going forward. But I can already see they both have a lot more confiidence with just that little trim.

2. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    It feels as though there is something missing to this post, as I think this started with another conversation.

You said you trimmed some feathers above the eyes, so I'm guessing there was a vision problem.

I had a similar experience with my EE. I thought she was unusually skittish until someone on the board suggested trimming down her cheek feathers. They are so cute, but then I realized they impaired her vision.

At first I thought the person on the board was kidding...but apparently not. I did trim them way down so now she has an unobstructed view of her world.

She is a changed bird. Must more assertive, much friendlier and not such a "chicken."

3. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    I had to do that with a few of my silkies the other day. One of them was particularly vision impaired. She was so cute with her huge poof, but she was so limited in what she did. I've been putting her feathers in a ponytail when shes out ranging, but got tired of having to do that. I love how she acted after her feathers were out of the way. She always would look around like, "Oh! So that's what the world looks like!". And she would get up in the other chickens faces and stare at them. Now she has a svelte mohawk and acts more chicken like.:D

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop

Not sure what you mean, but yes because they are silkies so they were having trouble seeing with all their poofs of hair in their eyes.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:

I did think about the hair band idea, but I figured the one time shot of cutting their feathers would be easier on me in the long run. I should have done it earlier, but I was a wimp about cutting them. They are both happier now and acting braver. Not hiding under the coop like they used to. Instead today they were out in the run every time I checked on the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by