Gave my Turkey a whooping

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cowdogcadillac, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Had to beat him off me today. Never had one with this kind of attitude before. Every time I turned my back on him he attacked,so I introduced him to Mr Plastic Rake.What do you beat your turkey off you with??

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:a fork and a knife! LOL

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:a fork and a knife! LOL

Ditto that. One attack is one too many if you ask me.

5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]

I love my turkeys.... they only go after the shepherds and border collie... and they dogs aren't actually chasing the turkeys.... they are running through or past them in chase of a ball!

Mine turn and go when I pet their tails though I have 10 males and 2 females..... come on christmas (there goes three!)

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I have only ever had one aggressive tom turkey. A royal palm with the best markings you could ever wish for. Nothing worked, I tried nice, tough and more..... nuff said. I sold him to an older guy that knew turkeys and he is still king of the barnyard and still mean as a snake.

Steve

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    None of my turkeys have attacked me yet.

It's been some time but I used to get an occasional rooster with an attitude problem. If he was one I really wanted to keep I'd use a stout broom. You can wallop the daylights out of big bird with the bushy end without really hurting them. I'd sweep their feet out from under them so they'd fall on their butts. This injures their dignity more than their behinds.

Even then though if I had to do it more than a couple of times he was history. If they went after my kids their first time was their last time.

8. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Ditto the knife and fork.

9. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    My toms got kicked once with a steel toed boot in the chest.... They know better than to try it again.

They're lucky I love them so much![​IMG]

10. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Let's see. Today is Thursday, the 4th of November. Something happens in exactly 3 weeks, something that would permanently change Tom Turkey's disposition. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by