gave the chicks a treat..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by priszilla, Sep 19, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I had a little bagged salad- the good stuff with lots of spring greens in it-left and I thought I would give the older babies a little for a treat. THEY thought it was deadly- they all bunched up in the coprner as far away as possible!When so they like such things?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    anything new is terrifying, and they just need time to see it in their environment. they'll be gobbling up treats in no time.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    That is funny! Just leave a little in with them, one will get brave and try it and then the rest will follow the leader. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

how old are they? Mine acted like the sky was falling but then they got it.

5. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    The first time I give mine anything their terrified of it, the second time they pile over the top of each other to devour it. Heck they were even afraid of the fresh field corn (I cut off the cob for them [​IMG]) the first time.

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My silkies did the same thing with their first treat. Someone suggested I put the treat in their brooder for a little while each day until they realize it won't hurt them. By day three I went in to take the piece of watermelon out and it was picked clean.

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkies won't touch any people food either, not sure why.
    The rest of them would mug you for a piece of your banana when you are out in the yard though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by