Gave them the worming medicine tonight.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mahonri, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't know if they have worms, but I'm hoping that if they do, this will make them better!

Guess I'll boil the eggs they lay for the next two weeks and feed it back to them.

Tomorrow we put all of the blue and green layers into the big coop with the big blue roo,
    then I have two breeding pens where I'll put the cuckoo maran pair with 3 other hens and then the partridge cochin roo with 4 hens in another pen.

When we were giving them their medicine we noticed that the GC maran hen had lice... so I'm hoping that home depot has some 7 dust tomorrow and we'll get them all dusted tomorrow night... And when we sleep and mop the coop in the morning we are going to wash all of the roosts with chlorox.

Out of my 25 that are all of laying age, I only have 3 laying at present... a black star, a CA white and an EE. I'm hoping that now that the weather is finally getting cooler and with the worming out of the way they'll start laying... on of the wheaten ameraucanas that I gave to another BYC'r has already given him 3 blue eggs. My other five are just slow I guess, or I'm not feeding them right.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mahonri, what are you going to use to worm them? I wouldn't feed the eggs back to them because technically you'd be double-dosing them.
    When I wormed I discarded the eggs for two weeks and in such a way as to prevent other animals on the farm from getting to them.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with gritsar. I have wormed my birds. I don't routinely worm my birds. I only worm them if I see evidence of worms. I have used Wazine but there is an egg withdrawal period of two weeks. Now if I need to worm I use Verm-X. It's all natural and there is no eggs withdrawal period. After I used it I saw no worms.

http://verm-x.com

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Kat... I used the Valbazen that you suggested. I've noticed that they are drinking a LOT of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by