gave turkey a shot of tylan in leg, now he cant use leg, what happened

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jasonm11, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    My wife and I gave one of our toms a shot of tylan 50 to clear up a sinus infection. We gave him the shot in his leg, but now he cant use it. We think we may have hit a nerve because he immediately lost control of his leg or mayb e feeling in it. He has been dragging the leg for two days now and seems no better. His sinus infection is clearing up nicely but the leg seems dead. We are hoping to see some improvement by this weekend if no improvement we will put him down. The question is if we have to put him down will the meat be tainted with the tylan 50? Does anyone tried it?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I don't know anything about turkeys. There is an egg withdrawl with tylan, so pretty sure you should not eat the meat. Is it usual to give turkeys injections in the leg? Was it like his thigh muscle? Have you tried heat or cold compresses?? massages?

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

sounds like you clipped a nerve.. given time he may regain use of the leg.. or may not.. depends on how much damage was done..
    I would give him at least a week or two .. and also go with the compresses and massage (assuming you can handle him).. hey.. can't hurt to try

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The shot should have been given in the breast muscle inserting it carefully as to not just go under the skin and not hit the breast bone, but given and injected slowly into the thick center of the muscle for proper absorbtion. You gave the shot in the wrong place and improperly, I am not sure he will get better or not.

5. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:Not to be snippy, but I know we gave it to him in the wrong spot otherwise he would not have lost use of the leg. I have read many different threads and everyone says to do the injection differently. Most state the tylan can harm the muscle. We have been using the legs and under the wing for injections sites when needed with this being the first time having injured the bird. We choose to stay away from the breast in case it does tylan actually does damage the muscle, we still have a good breast to process.

Thank you for all the suggestions, i will try the massage and see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Maybe it will come back. The medication can numb the nerve and as the medication gets absorbed, the nerve should recover.

The leg in a turkey has a lot of tendons to be damaged, if you want to inject there, give shots sub Q ( subcutaneous ) instead of deep muscle.

Personally, I'd rather have to cut out a little bit of the breast than to lose the whole turkey because it went down crippled.

If you are worried about damage, you could change antibiotics. There are a lot of antibiotics approved for poultry. Or, I've had good results with the powdered Tylan made to mix with their drinking water.

7. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i do not use the needle and i squirt it down their throat

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Just try massaging it like you said. Maybe it's just a little sore like humans get sore when we get a shot in the arm or other places. I hope he gets better. [​IMG]

9. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:I never thought of shooting it down the throat but i will from now on. thanks for the info. I did not want to treat the water as I was scared the sick bird might not get enough medicine and saw no reason to treat the whole flock with antibiotics when only one or two birds are sick.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I never thought of shooting it down the throat but i will from now on. thanks for the info. I did not want to treat the water as I was scared the sick bird might not get enough medicine and saw no reason to treat the whole flock with antibiotics when only one or two birds are sick.

I also don't like putting any meds in the water. I don't trust that the bird will drink the needed and required amount of meds. I squirt the meds down their throat as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by