Gazillion flies!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Southern Gardener, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Songster

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Is anyone else having fly problems? [​IMG] I didn't seem to have such a problem in my old coop - I've spread DE and hung fly strips - they are all over the run too but fortunately don't bother the chickens. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I seem to recall early last summer I had some but they didn't stay the entire summer.

2. James Hudson

James Hudson In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    I hadn't had that problem [​IMG] I mean we don't have too many flies here.

3. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    do you have a different type of floor/bedding than you had in your old coop? It seems like you might not be drying/covering the manure like before. I have flies in my backyard but none seem to be in my coop. I put down sweet pdz every few days and stir it in the pine shavings in the coop and the dirt/peat moss in the enclosed run area. I keep it stirred up and have not had a smell nor flies. Now I do have ants that come in that the chickens won't eat. I also have a fan going right now because it is so hot. I have flies when they are in the tractor, but none in coop.

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    We have tons of flies this year too!! I bought some DE, but I haven't put it out like I should. I have never had a problem like this year!![​IMG]

5. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have 2 - 3 inches of pine shavings on the coop floor mixed with a LOT of DE - absoutely no smell and very dry - actually the run has more flies than IN the coop.

6. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Same here - I've NEVER had this many!

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    We have tons too-but it is the moisture I think. The wetter it is, the more flies...Hate those things..maybe some fly strips outside would work?? I haven't tried that though.

8. SilverStar

SilverStar Songster

May 4, 2009
    california
    I had that same problem. I bought this awsome fly trap that they were selling at my feed store and it has worked wonders!!! I forget the name of it. I am at work right now but when i get home i will ckeck and let you know. It's pretty inexpesive and it lasts a good while and works GREAT!!!!

9. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks! It's not really wet here - we had a shower the other night but they were here before the rain came. Ugh! I hope they don't stay all summer!

10. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I bought those fly bags a walmart... They work Great!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: