Gazillion flies!

Southern Gardener

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Louisiana
Is anyone else having fly problems?
barnie.gif
I didn't seem to have such a problem in my old coop - I've spread DE and hung fly strips - they are all over the run too but fortunately don't bother the chickens. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I seem to recall early last summer I had some but they didn't stay the entire summer.

annek

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2009
do you have a different type of floor/bedding than you had in your old coop? It seems like you might not be drying/covering the manure like before. I have flies in my backyard but none seem to be in my coop. I put down sweet pdz every few days and stir it in the pine shavings in the coop and the dirt/peat moss in the enclosed run area. I keep it stirred up and have not had a smell nor flies. Now I do have ants that come in that the chickens won't eat. I also have a fan going right now because it is so hot. I have flies when they are in the tractor, but none in coop.

Southern Gardener

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Louisiana
I have 2 - 3 inches of pine shavings on the coop floor mixed with a LOT of DE - absoutely no smell and very dry - actually the run has more flies than IN the coop.

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
We have tons too-but it is the moisture I think. The wetter it is, the more flies...Hate those things..maybe some fly strips outside would work?? I haven't tried that though.

SilverStar

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
california
I had that same problem. I bought this awsome fly trap that they were selling at my feed store and it has worked wonders!!! I forget the name of it. I am at work right now but when i get home i will ckeck and let you know. It's pretty inexpesive and it lasts a good while and works GREAT!!!!

Southern Gardener

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Louisiana
Quote:
Thanks! It's not really wet here - we had a shower the other night but they were here before the rain came. Ugh! I hope they don't stay all summer!

Top Bottom