GC hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Farm_Maven, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    One of my GC hens for some reason pasted up. Noticed her acting unusual this evening while ranging, so I went and got her after bedtime. Checked her over real good, and she had pasty butt. I thought only chicks paste up. Well, anyhoo.....bathed her, blow dried her, and she is resting in the pet carrier in the dining room til morning.

BTW.....the four RIR 4-H pullets I got Oct. 8th are laying now.....all 4! Three ofem laid their first eggs today!! [​IMG]

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Watch out, pasty butt in a laying hen can mean an infection of the oviduct or can indicate other problems. Keep an eye out!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It was covering her vent?

4. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Partially covering her vent. And yes, it could mean an underlying problem. that's why i have her inside so i could monitor her. But, I can attest to the fact that she is pooping just fine today! lol.
    So I will put her back in the run.
    Update: got her put back outside, but she still is acting the same way she did last night. All scrunched up, almost(but not quite) like they do when laying an egg, moving slowly, closing her eyes like she wants to snooze. I had checked to see if I could maybe feel egg(possibly bound), but nope, no egg. She is pooping fine now.
    Should this now be moved to the emergencies and illnesses section?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Found a local vet that treats chickens!

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Hope she gets better for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by