G'day from DownUnder!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GreenHills, Jul 25, 2013.

1. We have recently purchased two beautiful Isa Browns, and, as we are renting on an acre of rainforest, we are now free roaming them after a period of being kept in their coop. They are regular layer, we have two eggs a day, and they are such a charm to have around. I'm hooked! However, we also have the neighbours chickens, and 2 roosters that come to visit daily, and the mature rooster is VERY interested in my girls, he does hassle them a bit, and so does the younger one. I chase them away when I can, but they do keep returning. I actually like the older one, but I don't like the attention he's giving my girls. They don't seem bothered, but by the end of the day they run to me as if highly fed up with him. Any ideas, short of starting a war with the neighbours? Am I even asking the question in the right place?!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I'm not good on neighbor problems I mostly avoid confrontation as it often turns into retaliation [​IMG]

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    G'day from Tassie, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Not much you can do, short of locking your girls up. We tried that with our teenager, didn't work![​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy, GreenHills, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!! Best wishes to you and your flock!

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! The only way to keep them away from your chickens is to build a run for your coop and keep them locked up :(

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

8. Hello everyone! thank you for the welcome! I guess I am a little over protective, but it was worth asking the question just to see what everyone else thought. We will just continue to chase off the younger rooster, and have stern words to the older one, I'm sure that will work?! [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Not much else you can do, short of putting up a fence between the properties that will keep visitors out. And since you're renting that's out of the question. I'd say leave the rooster, as long as he's not harming them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by