G'day from Penrith NSW Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clearbrite, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Clearbrite

Clearbrite New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Well,just about to enter a whole new world on Monday(20th June '11) when we get our incubator and brooder for the very first time raising chicks!!
    So excited,and just a tad nervous.
    Its only for a month,from Henny Penny Hatching,before they go back to a commercial farm(organic & free range). Initially the HPH program was at my sons preschool,and being a huge animal lover,and a city/suburban 'girl',couldn't get over how CUTE the chicks were,plus the great educational side of it too.
    Thought it was only for preschools/schools/nursing homes etc but got in contact..and lucky me..she does home set ups as well!! And with a bargain agreed upon with an extended program over the upcoming July school holidays..only a couple of days until we(me,my husband and 2 kids,girl 8 and son nearly 4)will be the proud parents of 2-3 one day old chicks then 10 hatchlings in the incubator!!!

I have read all the instructions and information galore!!*L* Have just never had anything to do with chickens or raising them from eggs,but seems an 'easy' and rewarding past time.

Even though we all know that they will eventually go back to a farm where they belong,happy in giving them a great start in life and hopefully comfortable around people...i know theres bound to a few tears when the day comes to say goodbye! And thats just from me!*L*

The chicks that they foster out are(or can be):

Australorps(good to know there is an Aussie breed!)
    Light Sussex
    Brown Leghorn Cockeral
    White Leghorn
    Black Leghorn
    Rhode Island Red

Would love to say Hi to other chicken enthusiasts or anyone with any great hints and tips about anything and everything chicken,raising chicks,about the various breeds etc etc
    What they love,hate,are like...im going to be totally new at this,so an open book and clean slate! What 'bad habits' should i avoid? My biggest is that we get them and they all end up dying or get sick! How horrible!!

Cant wait until Monday. Its going to be an amazing experience..plus cant pass up the total cute factor!

I know they are going to need alot of time and attention but maybe on here alot to ask questions![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bubbas are here!! 3 yellow fluff balls..so cute! Waiting on the other 16 eggs to hatch over the coming week. The 'chicken lady' will come back in a couple of weeks and take some off me and just leave 8-10 chicks. a bit more managable!!
    The set up is great and feel like getting to know them little by little. Especially 'Sookie' who im holding now so she will sleep,not disturb the other 2 by her loud cheep cheep beep beeps*L*
    Now just names for the other 2...then 16...
    We are in baby chook heaven!
    [​IMG]:weee

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

You are supposed to give them back? Let us know when that is supposed to happen. We are going to want to watch the police chase you down the street trying to take your babies away. [​IMG] I'm guessing you will come up with a good way to chicknap them before that day comes.

3. Blackie&CharlieGirl

Blackie&CharlieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Just want to say hi from Melbourne, Vic too [​IMG]

We have just become parents to two chickies from my sons Primary school and are loving it.

Trying to determine breed and sex, but they are only 4 weeks old... I'm just impatient and want to know that we can keep em!!

4. Clearbrite

Clearbrite New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Quote:LOL I know,i can just see it now!

But yes,its a franchise where they supply everything to be able to raise them for a couple of weeks(in our case a month)then any chicks that arent kept by anyone,also get taken back and continue to live on a farm where the process starts again(obviously for table eggs,meat and laying hens)
    Our backyard just isnt set up for grown chickens to be safe and comfortable,so they will have to go:( But things might change if we end up being 'chicken people'*L* Then if we did the hatching again,might be able to keep a few then

See what happens![​IMG][​IMG]

5. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Welcome from Maryland!

Have fun with your babies!

6. Clearbrite

Clearbrite New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Thank you:thumbsup
    [​IMG]:jumpy:jumpy:frow

7. Lyssa

Lyssa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Welcome from New Mexico [​IMG]

8. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

9. kelehe

kelehe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Welcome from Seattle.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy from SC where the thunder roars and the rain pours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by