G'day from Rockhampton

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken2egg, May 24, 2016.

1. chicken2egg

chicken2egg New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Glenlee, Queensland.
    G'day to all!
    Here goes with my first post. (Never posted to anything before).
    I have ALWAYS loved chickens. We had them when I was a child. I fondly remember sitting in their coop, and playing with them. My husband bought me 4 Isa Browns, (I think) for my birthday in March. BEST PRESENT EVER!!! He was resistant to getting chickens for quite a while, (3 years). He didn't actually say he DIDN'T want them. And I just kept mentioning how much I was looking forward to having some. My patience won out.
    We bought 4 point-of-lay chickens, because were unsure of raising chicks. They were beautifully raised. I was expecting crazy, run-away-as-fast-as-possible girls. Turns out they were quiet from the start. I found BYC on a search for how long it takes chickens to start laying. I knew about the 'squat', but didn't know what it represented. My girls took about 6 weeks before the first Daffy (named after my mother, Daphne), started laying. The second Lacey, and the third, Aggie, (named after my Grand mother, Agnes), followed fairly closely behind. We are still waiting for Fluffy, (yes, I know, she ISN'T fluffy, but in my defence, if I had a lizard, I'd call IT fluffy) she has been squatting, and her crest is becoming a little more red, so she shouldn't be too long.
    We are still chicken-proofing our fence line. Seems they can squirt through quite small openings when the pickings look good in the neighbours yard!
    Ok, I guess that's it for now.
    I'm so glad I found BYC
    See ya![​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us and congrats on your new flock.

They are more fun than most any other hobby, IMO.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and thanks for the intro. It was a good decision to point of lay pullets - less of a headache, gender assured and you get eggs sooner!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
    CT

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

WELCOME!

We are glad you found BYC too! And Fluffy is a great name! I have been stuck on one name for my Red Sex Links. I name them all.. Reba.

I love when they start squatting..first, they run from you like you are going to take them to the butching block..not all, but most pullets. Then, they get close to laying, and start coming around more..then, they start laying, and then, they are right there following you around like a little puppy dog. I love chickens!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Your introduction made me smile. Got to love a man that get a hint, hey? And I hope now he's getting rewarded with some lovely, fresh eggs for breakfast in the morning? [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. chicken2egg

chicken2egg New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Glenlee, Queensland.
    Thank you, I feel at home already ;)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day to you too. So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. If you get homesick, you can post at "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

9. chicken2egg

chicken2egg New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Glenlee, Queensland.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

10. KittysKoop

KittysKoop Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2016
    Texas
    Howdy from Texas!! Glad you joined!!!:welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by