GD's School Fundraiser...pics

Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
East Texas
I am so thrilled!!
GD is in a small local Christian School, and they had their Spring Banquet & Fundraiser tonight.
All the families were to decorate a cake to be voted on, and auctioned off.
I had an idea when we were in the Dollar store, and we decided to do a rubber duck cake. I got online and looked to see if I could find some ideas. I saw several that I liked, but not exactly what I was thinking. I did get some good tips, so the cake was made.
My oven is broken, so I had to go to DIL's to bake it, in the rain!!

After the really cool Black-Light program the students performed, we had a great meal and fun conversation.
The cake auction started, and most of the cakes brought from $30.00 - $55.00 a piece. There were some real pretty cakes!
I was so hoping that hers would bring that much. Well, it was up to $45.00, and there were 2 people who had been bidding against each other, and 1 man said $100.00! He got the cake!

It was also voted the most popular, and GD received a free day off from school as the prize!
wee.gif

Here it is with a crocheted hanging kitchen towel hanging off one of the handles:

100_0172.jpg

100_0173.jpg

100_0174.jpg

Jean

Thanks for the compliments!

I baked 2 sheet cakes. I cut 2 paper shapes to fit the size of the tub at the approx. height I thought each layer would sit in the tub.
I set the paper on top of the cooled cakes and cut them.
Then I just put the bottom layer in the tub, spread a layer of frosting, and put the next layer of cake in. They fit almost perfectly!
I saved a bit of the white frosting, then I mixed a few drops of blue food coloring into the frosting, spread that out on the cake. Then I added more blue to the remaining frosting, not mixing it very much, so I would have a swirled coloring, and added the white frosting again not mixing very much. I just pulled the frosting up with a small rubber spatula to look like waves. Set the ducks in and pulled some of the "waves" up to them.
It was really easy, but it needed to be moved carefully, the tub was pretty thin for the weight of a double layer cake.
I was very pleased with the finished cake. I'm not a cake decorator, but it turned out cute, and it helped the school!
This school & the teachers have changed her from hating school and failing... to... loving it and getting 90's to 100's in every subject!!

And we got to eat the cut off sections, so I saved some frosting for us, too!! YUM!

Jean

Back
Top Bottom