Gearheadmb's coop build thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gearheadmb, Mar 7, 2017.

1. gearheadmb

gearheadmb Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    So i tried starting my build thread yesterday, but i put it in the wrong place, so i'll give it another go.

Ill tell you a little about myself. I grew up on a small farm, but we never had chickens. This will be my first chicken experience. A year ago my wife and i bought an old house and three acres in the country about a mile from the house i was raised in. We LOVE it here. It was so great to get out of town, where we lived for the last seven years. Now we get to do a little hobby farming. Chickens, a couple acres of hay in my field in front of the house, and whatever other adventures we can dream up. Its really quite a lovely little existence.

Anyways, the chicken coop. We plan to keep 8-12 hens. So i went with 4'*8' with a sizable run as the plan. When shopping for bargain materials i found a truck driver selling boards that measured 2.875" square by 5 feet long. He hauls steel and these were used in between the bundles of steel. He had them priced at a dollar a piece so i bought 50. I thought they would make a nice frame. The tricky part was how to join them together. I didnt want screws running into end grain. I also didnt want to spend $100 on brackets. So i decided to channel my ancestors and do timber frame style construction just like all the 100 year old barns in the area, albeit a very shrunk down version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just like that i had a good old fashioned tiny amish barn raising. The hardest part was finding tiny Amish people to help.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. gearheadmb

gearheadmb Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rafters and floor joists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nesing boxes and floor.

3. gearheadmb

gearheadmb Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    So i have a question. About how many linear feet of roost is needed for 12 birds?

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see how you can fit it in, I think your coop is too small. On your other thread you sid you had six leghorns now and picking up six more of another breed. I would hold off on the extra 6 and see how it goes with the first six.

Good luck

Gary

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Your other thread is here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1156815/gearheadmbs-coop-build-thread
    I linked to this thread in that one....so just keep going here.

That's some nice joinery!

4x8 is good for maybe 8 birds....depending on your climate and run security/shelter.
    A foot of roost length per bird is good, more is better.

What is your climate?
    Putting your location in your profile will allow folks to give better answers/suggestions.

Here' some good info on Space and Ventilation.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

6. gearheadmb

gearheadmb Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Thanks Aart. I really enjoyed building the framing. It was my first time working with that type of carpentry so the challenge made it really fun. Also thanks for linking these up for me.

Im from ohio, so not too hot, not too cold. I was hoping this setup would be big enough for 12 birds considering i was going to have a decent sized run and also free range them some to help with bug control. Oh well, ill see how they like it and play it by ear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by