Gearheadmb's coop build thread

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gearheadmb, Mar 6, 2017.

1. gearheadmb

gearheadmb Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Hey guys, I've been lurking a while here trying to learn the basics and I thought it was time i join and bring down the collective intelligence of the group, er, contribute, i meant to say contribute. A week ago we went and picked up six leghorn chicks, and are going pick up six more layers when the farm store gets a different breed in.

I started on building my coop a couple weeks ago. If you are into amateur carpentry its kind of a cool project. The reason i say that is because i got a deal on 3×3 boards 5 feet long so i bought 50 of them. I used these to a shrunk down version of timber frame construction for the frame of the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive got the floor in and the nesting boxes built and installed. I will get some pics of that and post it up sometime soon.

The coop is 8' wide, 4' deep and 5' tall overall if any body is wondering. Its been a fun project. Being able to build it inside the garage has been awesome. Im making a conscious effort to not think about how im going to move it out to the yard. This thing is getting heavy. Oh well, ill cross that bridge when i get there.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to da club! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, gearheadmb, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I like your carpentry work! My projects usually like they were constructed by a person wearing a blindfold and oven mitts! One word of caution...your square footage is 32 sq. ft. If the nesting boxes are on the inside, that will eat up more space. The recommended space requirement for chickens is 3-4 sq. ft./bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft./bird in the run. So you'll be having 12 chickens in some pretty cramped quarters. Confession time: so do I but I have a huge run as well as free range the flock so they really only sleep and lay eggs in the coop for me. You will also be integrating chicks of different ages/sizes when you get your other six. Here's an article that talks about a good way to do that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method
    Best wishes on your continued construction and enjoy your flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. gearheadmb

gearheadmb Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Redsoxs, thanks for the link and advice. The nest box is hanging off the back of the coop, so not eating up the floorspace in the coop. I also plan on a decent sized run, so i hope that will be enough room to keep them happy.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That ought to do it! Best of luck to you!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under gearheadmb [​IMG] Welcome!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing pictures of your coop build with us!

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would just finish the bones of the coop while it's in the garage. Cut the plywood for the sides and roof but hold off putting them on until it's outside.

10. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would skip picking up the additional 6 birds, that coop is not big enough for 12

Good luck

Gary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by