Gearing up for try #2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Chase, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Just plugged in the bator today - I have eggs coming from two different BYC sellers, plus I"ll get some local eggs to fill it. Last time was a wreck - out of 24 eggs I had 7 develop, 4 made it til lockdown, none hatched. There was a very old rooster involved, 100+ degree days, refrigerated eggs and a 3 degree temperature drop at the end. This time we're dealing with shipped eggs but cooler weather, proper collection/storage and fertile birds, plus I know to expect a temp drop when I take out the auto turner.
    The first batch hits the postal system tomorrow, the others on tuesday, so perhaps weds or thursday we'll be rolling again! [​IMG]

2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What are you going to hatch? I just got some Duccle eggs and am waiting on my Marans eggs and second bator to arrive. Maybe we could be hatching buddies.

4. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Sounds like you have all the previous issues addressed. I am sure you will have chickies this time [​IMG]

5. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Quote:What are you going to hatch? I just got some Duccle eggs and am waiting on my Marans eggs and second bator to arrive. Maybe we could be hatching buddies.

I"m getting (black copper) Marans too! Also some frizzled easter eggers, and then local mutt eggs will fill it up. I love the d'uccles but don't have room for banties. I cheated and bought 4 young BLRWs the other day - IF these eggs hatch I"ll have my flock set. Hatching buddies would be great - when are you setting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by