geese adopting CHICKS?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by hennyandpenny, Apr 9, 2012.

1. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    okay so i have two wild canadian geese whos nest keeps getting robbed by a predator so they started to hang around my 4-6 week old chicks and whenever i come close i get hissed at... part of me wants to buy some gooslings online and put them in their nest but the other part of me is let them p;ay parents with the chicks... yes these are the same geese that tried to steal some of the bedding that i raked out that i stated in a later post... i did give them some so they can insulate their bedding for their eggs

2. Geese love being parents . . . I've heard of them stealing chicks from hens and ducklings from the ducks. Once the chicks get old enough to stop the peeping, they will leave them alone I think. . .

I would not let them in with the chicks. . . geese have big feet and chicks aren't as resilant as goslings! Plus, then you would never be able to get close . . .

3. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    the geese let me get neaer them (the chicks) but wont let my brothers or my dad near them... they see me the most. the chicks that they like the most i think are the oldeest ones but they stay on the bank of the pond and dont go in the coop my mom want s me to put some nesting materials in the run (in the corner away from the main coop) and let them make their nest in there so the animals would have a harder time getting to the eggs, i think the birds are getting along the chicks dont like the pond and the geese dont like the run so no arguements.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    How cute! I would say that their broody hormones are in full force and would mother anything that looks or sounds like a gosling. But, I wouldn't buy any goslings for them and I wouldn't let them in with the chicks because of what was said before about the possibility of them being stepped on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by