Geese and ducks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by henry007, Mar 3, 2013.

1. henry007

henry007 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    I have a beautiful flock of ducks we really adore but many of them have died by ground predators. I'm thinking about getting some geese but they have to meet my standards, here they are:

They must be able to protect my ducks

They can't be to noisy

They must lay a lot of eggs

They need to be pretty big

Thanks guys

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You'll not find a goose breed out there that can actually protect your flock of ducks, sorry but thats your responsibility. geese will sound an alarm but other than that are no match for ground predators, geese have no way to defend them selves or a flock of ducks, preds have teeth and claws, geese don't even have arms. in which to hold off a pred. some flying preds will not try to take down a goose to get to ducks but my geese don't hang around in the group of ducks but when out free ranging will be close enough I am hoping the hawks etc will think twice about coming around. If your losing your ducks to ground preds maybe a Live stock guardian dog would be a better choic,with some training i understand they do a very good job of protecting livestock. All the best and [​IMG]

3. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I don't think there is a goose breed that meets your expectations. No goose can actually protect your ducks from predators and probably wouldn't be that interested in your ducks to even try. All geese are noisy, it's their nature. I don't know that there are a breed of geese that lay a great number of eggs and they lay seasonally. I have embdens, one of the largest of the geese breeds and they are:
    1. Noisy
    2. Lay relatively few eggs
    3. Alert to predators but don't like the ducks
    4. Very large
    They made a fuss when the bald eagle was actually attacking my ducks but since then have only watched it when it has flown over or landed in the trees. They do recognize dogs that don't belong but they would not attack one that made an aggressive move, they would run away as best they could.

I am sure that other people have stories of their geese's heroic measures and it's possible that you could get some geese that might put up a fight but I agree with Miss Lydia, it's not their job to protect ducks.

4. henry007

henry007 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks guys for the information on geese its well appreciated. I was wondering if anyone know an animal that would protect my ducks.

Thanks

5. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    A livestock guardian dog.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    predator proof duck house for at night.

Live Stock Guard dogs for two

NOT JUST ANY OLD DOG WILL DO (labs, pointers, boxers ect are NOT Live Stock Guard Dogs)

Great Pyrenees, Anotolians are examples of two breeds who are.

We have three GP (2 males and 1 female) Nothing two or four legged enters our fences without their permission. We have ducks, chickens, guinea, geese, goats, rabbits and all live very happy and safe because of the dogs.

8. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Border Collie.
    My Border Collie Buck are with my poultry all the time & when he's around the hawks won't mess with them, until he's gone to town with me or not there. He has ran off other dogs, coyotes, & any other ground critter that comes around.

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    BC's are lovely dogs, but are a herding dog not a LGD. Yes any dogs presence will stop some/many predators, but they arent bred to be outside on their own and to work at protectng their charges 24/7. Our Pyrenees never come in the house, even as pups they are taught the animals are theirs and are outside with them. Anatolians are the same way as are all LGD breeds. Tes people make house pets of them, but they prefer to be a working/guarding dog with herds and flocks to protect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by