Geese and Goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by laughaha, Jul 3, 2010.

1. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I have two female toulouse who are about 1 1/2 years old. They both went majorly broody this year but *obviously* didn't hatch anything out. I finally got them to break broodiness about a month ago. I am getting 9 toulouse goslings that are being shipped to me on tuesday from murray. I wish I could have gotten them when the girls were broody but that didn't happen. I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! My two girls free range with the chickens and are bonded pretty well with them. They are the bouncers of the yard- roosters not allowed to fight, cats not allowed near the chickens, etc. What are the odds that the girls will consider the goslings as invaders and react accordingly? They are really sweet geese and don't attack much of anything.

What do you think the odds would be that they will adopt the goslings? I do NOT want to keep goslings in the house- they are STINKY little adorable buggers.

What can I do to make them more likely to adopt the goslings?

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm 99.9% sure they'll adopt your goslings without any trouble. Introduce them after the babies rest up from their trip. Watch them a couple of days to make sure everyone is eating and drinking and adjusting. Then, introduce the adults to the babies outside so that you can watch them for a little bit. They'll make a big deal out of them and want to lead the babies around to graze. What is your nightime set up like?

3. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    Thanks for responding so quickly!!!

Right now they have a temporary coop at night until we can get our big coop moved to the new place. They have a pile of hay they sleep on that isn't under where the chickens roost.

I really hope the girls adopt the goslings. They are such sweethearts that I'm probably worrying for nothing. The only time I ever got nipped by them was when I tried to handfeed a broody some grass (totally my fault) and even then it was just a warning nibble.

What are the odds that they will adopt the goslings and then turn into mean little beasties? While they don't snuggle with me much anymore, they aren't even remotely like the stereotypical attack goose. They go for walks with me, run to me whenever I leave the house, eat out of my hands, etc.

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    It is so hard to know exactly how your girls will react. They may react if they feel threatened. Mine act like they are on guard when one of my dogs walk by...but not so much when I do. I lock mine in the barn each night for safe keeping. Do you lock yours in the temp. coop? I don't snuggle with my geese as much as Kim and Jennifer do. Maybe they'll have additional insight as to how your girls might react. My guess is that things will go just fine. The majority of time geese make wonderful parents and adoptive parents. You asked what you can do to make them more likely to adopt...I think all you really need to do is make goslings available! You'll be amazed at how quickly they'll take charge. I love watching them communicate with the babies. You'll notice that they will use not only verbal but a lot of non verbal gestures too. You're in for a treat! The "Adoption Process" has always gone very well here - I hope the same hold true for you.

Congrats on your new babies! I'm looking forward to your feedback. It'll be such fun!

5. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Just let them see the goslings through a barrier first.. but they should adopt them. I have a gander that has been fully feathered for only a few weeks, yet he has taken to guarding and watching over some of my new babies. Geese adjust very well to new young ones.

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I know chickens kill chicks, so I am worried the geese will kill/injure the goslings. [​IMG]

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm sure there have been cases of geese showing agression towards goslings - normally this is not the case. For the last few years I've had at least one to two "adoptions" take place here on my farm involving geese. There have been zero problems.

This afternoon, I successfully 'grafted' 11 baby chicks that ranged from 10 days to 1 day old, on to a Broody Silkie hen...again, no problems. The last time I checked on her and the chicks the oldest silkie chick was peeking out from under one of the hen's wings - feeling really safe and secure with her new mamma. Chicken adoptions can be difficult - geese give me much less trouble.

8. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    Yup, locked in at night.

I have some wire cages I can put them in outside, but no electric in the temp coop so the goslings will have to be inside the house if the girls don't adopt them.

Chicken adoptions are a pain in the butt!!! I have 3 black australorp hens co-parenting 3 chicks and do you think any of them were at all interested in my 2 day old chick that ORIGINALLY came from one of their nests but went to the incubator when the nests were abandoned (cuz somebody elses chicks hatched first). Heaven Forbid!!!!! I am typing with a chick under my shirt and no air conditioning because of my ungrateful gorgeous brats. Thank goodness I have a sibling hatching right now, hopefully it won't take too long. Queenie is so lonely and I can't take the noise anymore. She's only quiet when snuggling. She could care less about a small stuffed animal. She does get really excited when she hears the hatching chick peeping- they talk to each other, so cute!!

At least with the goslings there will be nine of them so NO goslings in my shirt!!!

Okay time for bed, I'm starting to get a lil loopy. Happy sleepy time ya'll

9. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    laughaha - Been there and done that with the chickie thing. Yes, chicken adoptions can be a real pain! I just came up from the barn - I was checking on the newly formed adoptive family. All is well - it's raining and chilly this morning...she has all of the chicks under her as well as the two eggs. She's a really good Mom!

I bet the girls will adopt them. What are your temps at night? I would probably keep them in the house until they can manage the night time temps on their own and then leave them with the girls.

Your goslings are being shipped tomorrow - right?

10. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    Shipping on tuesday (supposed to anyways). Our night temps have been weirdly cold for the last couple of weeks, like in the high 40's. Rabbits happy, but not good for goslings. So should I try to keep them from bonding for a few weeks so that I can bring them inside at night? I am SO NOT bringing Archie and Ethel in the house too but if they bond with the goslings no one withing 10 miles will sleep at night if I bring the goslings in, right? Okay, I'm confused again. drat

Oh, Archie wasn't supposed to be a girl but she is and the name fits so we aren't changing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by