Geese attacking ducklings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jdywntr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My muscovy hen hatched out 12 babies 2 weeks ago. I have let her take them out of the coop during the warmest part of the day for the past 2 days.
    Yesterday, the geese seemed kind of aggressive toward them but I didn't let them get really close. Today, one of the ganders attacked the babies to the point of having some fluff in it's mouth. The ducklings are okay and mom jumped on the gander.

I thought that geese were usually protective of babies? I know that not every animal acts the same way but this seemed extreme. I have been unsure as to whether or not I want to continue with geese. After eating some, I'm not in love with the meat, it's not bad but I prefer duck. I do like the fact that they alert me to anything unusual but I can't have them potentially killing babies and I am not going to keep the babies locked up until they are big enough to defend themselves or get away.

Any ideas as to why they are behaving this way?

The female started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. She only mates with one of the ganders.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    geese only protect their own young and even then not always (except for mother goose). Ganders are very unpredictable, even more so as they approach their first breeding season. They are like hormonal teenager humans and shouldnt be trusted with ducklings or chicks. Some ganders get nasty enough to try and drown (some have drowned) ducks in ponds as well.

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Celtic.

I think that I am not going to keep them. For 2 reasons, first safety of the other animals and second they terrorize our young LGD and I want him to have good experiences with the birds.

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    production africans can be very naughty. We sold all of ours this fall and we were very happy to see them go. Please remember that not all geese are the same temperament wise, and sometimes you have to provide separate housing and fenced area for them. (especially during breeding season)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My gander was wonderful with our ducklings that hatched this year, but he is also 5yrs old so that might make a difference.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm trying to decide if I have any options other than to process them all. I was very excited when the goose started laying and the eggs are fertile. I could keep the geese in a different area during the day but they sleep in the front half of the coop where the ducks are (with a divider). I can't build another pen right now so I don't know that I have any choice really.

7. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    chainlink dog kennel and dog house would house them just fine too

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    especially if you just have the pair.

9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    My geese made the mistake of going after one of my Game hens and her little ones -- that cured them of going after babies.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Bantan frizzle had some chicks year before last and she thought she was going to run my Embden gander off well that back fired and if I had not been there I think he would have injured her or killed her. She is scared of him now, which is a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by