Geese Breed Focus - American

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The American goose is one of the few domesticated goose breeds which originated in the United States. Some believe the breed was developed from buff mutations in flocks of wild Graylag geese and others think they may have been created from buff colored geese, like the Buff Back, Pomeranian and Pilgrim, which came from Europe. This breed is a medium to heavy, smooth breasted, and double lobed, with a stance similar to the Embden Goose. Two fairly new color in the American goose is Blue and Lavender Ice. The plumage of the Blue is a pretty bluish-gray; the Lavender Ice is an lovely silver-lavender; bills are orange and the eyes are brown. Weighing anywhere from 14-22 pounds, they have the same husky physique and regal stature as the American Buff. This beautifully hued strain of American goose was developed by Dave Holderread, who dedicated 20-years immersed in the study of the complex genetics of blue color in domestic geese. With their unique colors and many practical attributes, they make a superior goose for the homestead or yard.

They were standardised by the APA in 1947 and entered the British Waterfowl Standard much later in 1982.

Details:

Purpose: Meat
Egg laying: 15-25 white eggs annually
Weight: Gander: 22-27 lbs; Goose: 19-22 lbs
Colour/Varieties: Buff, Blue,
Lavender

Pic by @ChickenLady93

Pic by @ajneal30

Pic by @ajneal30

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/american

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/625321/american-lavender-geese/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/605523/american-buff-geese/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/441184/need-info-on-american-buff-geese/0_30

Do you own American geese? Are you an American geese breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited by a moderator:
So excited to see focus threads starting on geese! Can't wait to read more about the various breeds
smile.png

This one is a lovely place to start.

Last edited:
Aren't they lovely I have only the one American in Buff, she is just precious.

And a great time to start this thread since members are just now waking up from winter and dreaming of little goslings for spring and what breed they want.
smile.png

Thanks Sumi
PS Now we will see what breed NFC will be getting next since she is getting ducklings this spring .
wink.png

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread @sumi ! I am honored that you used my photo of my pair. I am happy to report my goose laid her first egg yesterday. My Buff goose is about 10 months old right now and the Lavender Ice gander is a bit over 2 years. I am excited to see the outcome I will have from their pairing. :)

I bought Americans because of their beautiful color! And after I got them I found out they are one of the calmest and quietest breeds you could own!

@sumi thank you for starting this thread! I have a trio of American Buff. I had not planned to have them yet! My neighbor keeps poultry also and we both allow free range. They added geese and ducks 2 years ago. Once the geese matured, they begun to have issues with them being "too mean". We talked several times on how to manage and train geese. I noticed they were becoming a daily fixture here, in my pond and were eventually staying with my geese at night!
Last Christmas, the neighbors son stopped by, and asked if I would like to keep them. I said of course! Asked how much they wanted for them, and he told me his parents said "Merry Christmas, they are yours" Oh my!!!
celebrate.gif
I was so excited! I had intended to add American this year, just beautiful birds.
Geese are my pets, alarms for my flocks, and eggs are awesome for baked goods, unless I am hatching them! We have never used them as a table bird ourselves, yet... DH keeps saying he wants to try it.. But If all my goslings are getting sold to good homes, why bother? I have ate wild goose and did like it, but these are my babies. They are large, heavy birds, certainly would be perfect for a table bird.
I find them very similar to my Embden in type and voice. The gander is shrill and loud in his call, and extremely protective of his goose. Very good parents. I watched the adult pair raise the gosling to a goose hen last summer, and the baby has taken quite a liking to my Embden gander, lol. I do breed every year for my geese, and they will be separated. I do plan to keep the young goose with the embden so she isn't bred back to the gander, her dad. He shows no interest in the baby now, only his mate. If his goose calls him and she has wandered away from him, he is stomping and running to her, fussing at her like he is scolding her for wandering off. Sorry, I will take pictures tomorrow! I am just awful about pictures.

@jchny2000 nice story about how you got your geese, Merry Christmas indeed! Looking forward to your pictures.

Thank you, @NorthFLChick , now if she would just kick it in high gear and lay some more! :)

Birds...they sure know how to string us along, don't they? I can just hear their tiny little brains saying, "I'll lay when I'm good and ready"
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom