Geese breeding question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DoubletakeFarm, Aug 23, 2013.

1. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I have 3 sebastopols that I purchased as goslings in the spring. I don't know their sexes. If I have 1 male and 2 females will the male mate with both? If I have 1 female and 2 males am I going to have problems with the males fighting over her? Just wondering what to expect.

2. gm21255

gm21255 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    One male and two females is a good combination. The male will mate with both females. Two males and one female isn't good. The ganders may fight over her plus too much mating will be harmful to the female. If you find out you have two males, you'll need to separate the extra male during breeding season. The extra male won't like being alone, so you may consider adding another female to your goose family.

1 person likes this.
  3. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    It is always good to separate the males from each other in breeding season. The gander's will fight over a female and can even cause internal damage which can kill a gander. When they fight they mean business!
    So if you find you have two gander separate them and pick the one you want with your goose.
    I too suggest that you also purchase another female if you have two gander's. If you have two females then you are fine as gm says...

4. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Thanks, good info to have ahead of time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by