Geese bullying chickens

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Alexandra1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Alexandra1

Alexandra1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Hello,
    We have 3 geese here and to cut the long story short, they started chasing chickens around for no apparent reason.
    (2 white domestic geese and one Brecon/American buff gander)
    Is it jealousy? I don't know. I already told our story on another thread (the thread from Stephie, about her geese bullying each other) so I won't re-write it here.
    The chickens haven't done anything to them but they seem in a nasty disposition about them, and will get out of their way to peck them or run at them.

Has anyone had any experience of mixing chickens and geese, and what results it brought? Is it normal?

THanks for any feedback!

2. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My first thought is one of them is nesting. I found a nest, thought it had only 1 egg in it, then just before it was to go near 10* (F) I went and looked at the nest to find she has 8 eggs in it and she started staying on the nest yesterday! they will protect the nest!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We're all starting into mating season and geese don't tolerate anything or anyone messing around them and their mates during this time, best to separate the chickens till end of mating season. Mine all hang out together but the chickens can get away because they are not penned together. Actually my ducks are worse on the chickens than the geese are.

4. Alexandra1

Alexandra1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately the geese have been like this to the chickens all last spring, all summer, all fall and all winter, and now we are getting into mating season and they are as aggressive, not more than ever :)
    I saw a duck once bully a chicken, it was one of those straight standing ducks, it was rather vicious to them. The geese are quite vicious but maybe not quite as much as the duck I saw!
    We are keeping geese and fingers crossed, we have had no fox problem since we have them, so we are keeping them really for warning reasons. Maybe the foxes like to pass unseen and those noisy geese are not to their liking... Bless the geese, maybe they don't like to be seen as big brothers of the chickens... And they are scared of foxes too. So they are trying to get rid of the chickens so foxes don't come at all. Who knows...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by