Geese Geese Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TabbiDawn, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TabbiDawn

TabbiDawn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Ok, So growing up we had a number of Embden Geese (sp?) and I remember them being pretty mean, I have memories of them honking and flapping at me everytime I came close to them. Also, I remember how great it was when I got my little gosling "amy" whom I had for about three months until one day she died [​IMG] I would love to have a few geese now, but I would like to know if perhaps there is a better (less aggressive) breed I should look into? Or perhaps the geese we had were not handled quite enough when they were young? Is aggressive a trait of all geese? Is it a male/female thing? Are some breeds worse than others? I really loved having them around, And I find them extremely beautiful, but I would love to interact with them, not just have them here.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Sebastopol and Toulouse are pretty laid back. I hear the large dewlap toulouse are very laid back.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Facts straight if you are forcing you interest on them it is you that is being aggressive not them. If they happen to like and trust you they will approach on their own. This so called aggresiveness is more a indiviual trait than a breed trait. Good luck!

4. TabbiDawn

Feb 6, 2011
    Quote:Facts straight if you are forcing you interest on them it is you that is being aggressive not them. If they happen to like and trust you they will approach on their own. This so called aggresiveness is more a indiviual trait than a breed trait. Good luck!

Thanks [​IMG]

5. TabbiDawn

Feb 6, 2011
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] Do you know how well they do as far as laying?

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] Do you know how well they do as far as laying?

No, I'm sorry, I don't. I have adopted elderly geese to give them homes. My sebbie is just now maturing, so we will see.

7. TabbiDawn

Feb 6, 2011
    Quote:Thank you so much! Tons of help [​IMG]

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, first things first: define "interact with them".

While there are exceptions to every rule, geese are not cuddle bugs. They are curious and will most certainly interact with you in their own way -- chatter at you when you're near them, honk when they see you come into view, hiss if you make them uncomfortable, etc. If you have other ideas for "interaction" geese may not necessarily be "for you".

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Thank you so much! Tons of help [​IMG]

You're welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by