Geese have "flown the coop"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PDurkin, Sep 12, 2011.

1. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    I am heartbroken but I guess that is the risk you take when you free range your birds. I live in on 2 acres of land in Connecticut, very safe with few predators accept for the occasional fox or coyote, but generally they are chased off by my Giant Schnauzer (Great LGD). Anyways my two baby geese (3 months old) who I raised from hatchlings and loved ever so much disappeared yesterday. This has happened before with my ducks where they spend the night out in the pasture where I can't find them, but they always return. Well unfortunately my two favorite birds, Ronald and Betty both never returned. They were 3 month old Embden geese. I am heart broken and just getting it out to share with my fellow BYC'ers. Warning to those who consider Free-ranging during the day, be very very very aware of the risk, sometimes a couple just never come home [​IMG] even if they are your favorites.

Lesson learned -- no more free-ranging for anyone.

Ronald and Betty if you guys are still out there -- come home!

Everybody say a prayer for them [​IMG]

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I'm sorry, I hope they come back home. I'm sure it's hard for you, I'd be very upset too if something happened to one of my birds, let alone two in the same day.

Free ranging is a risk, but many believe it provides a better quality of life to the birds, and the risks out weigh the benefits. Mine are not free ranged now, since I work all day, but I'll be fencing in a large part of a field for them in the spring so they can get some grass and bugs, and a little more entertainment than their run provides.

3. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Nobody has showed up yet, its been 48 hours roughly [​IMG] We will give them 72 before we abandon our search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by