Geese housed with chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Meg09, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Meg09

Meg09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Hi there! So Ive had chickens housed with my goose and turkey before, this was years ago. All of them have passed away if old age well most; except one who I left outside cuz she killed two of my roos and three hens!(overnight) Anyways they always did well together. Im going to build a new coop as the old one wasnt maintained by ppl that moved in the house. Anyways Im just getting ideas for a new coop. To start Im getting bantam cochin just for the pleasure of ownership and some sebatopole geese. I was thinking of housing them separately; good idea? And should I put them in the same yard when the go out? Or should I avoid it? Also for those of you that show your birds how do you keep them? I realize if you show you need to keep your birds separate at least its best so feathers dont get broken, ect. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum wasnt sure where to put this.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally would never keep Geese with chickens especially bantam chickens. Geese can become aggressive with smaller birds especially during breeding season.

3. Meg09

Meg09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Okay; that was my concern too. Last time I only had one goose and they were only together at night but the chickens had perches and nest boxes. Thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by