Geese laying in the winter

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by matthew bridges, Nov 11, 2015.

1. matthew bridges

matthew bridges New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    I have one goose that just started laying egg. It starting to get cold. At night Do I need to do something to keep the eggs warm or will the goose do it all

N F C and rjohns39 like this.
  2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Are you hoping that your goose goes broody and remains on the eggs until they hatch?

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't think a goose would go broody so late in the year. Just because she lays an egg doesn't mean she wants to hatch it. For better information please check out the "Goose thread."

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about geese, but definitely post on our Geese section in Other Backyard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our geese experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. matthew bridges

matthew bridges New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    yes. An she just setting on them. An when they hatch will she be able to to keep them warm.

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope you got your answer in the Geese forum. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

What breed of geese do you raise?

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. milkweeds

milkweeds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Hello................I realize your blog was a couple years ago...this is 2017.....I have a goose that lays in winter and I would like her to hatch a couple babies as she has tried before and failed .....she sat on them eggs for 6 weeks....I had to force her off and get her to go eat and walk around....I am wondering how you handled it...I would like her to hatch them but wondering if they would freeze in the winter...any suggestings..jean

drumstick diva and rjohns39 like this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might want to post this over in the 'Goose' forum. First the gander may not be breeding her this late in the season. Next if the eggs get severely chilled or frozen that may not be viable. To raise goslings in the winter, supplemental heat might be needed if ambient temperatures are extremely low.

drumstick diva, N F C and rjohns39 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by