Geese owners

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Muscovies, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the best breed of geese to raise?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    My only goose...a gander...an african gander is not agressive and easy to raise.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    That depends entirely on your reason for raising them, your setup for keeping them and any unique requirements you may have.

Looking for a lot of goose eggs? White Chinese are known for being prolific layers.

Want something unique and beautiful roaming the yard or to appeal to the pet and/or show markets? Sebastopols are popular.

Desiring meat for the table? Embdens are traditional farm geese. American Buffs and Toulouse may also be a good choice.

4. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks roocrazy and Olive Hill

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Americans are very sweet natured, tend to be calm, and are relatively quiet. They're a good all-around goose because they're a good meat bird too.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

For some reason I just never cared for Embdens. Toulouse are sweet & I really loved my Brown Chinese/Toulouse mixed geese, they were very quiet and laid back. My White Chinese were by far my favorite though, but my gander did start to get a little snotty when his hen was "maturing".

7. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I went with Roman Crested geese. They seemed like a good dual purpose kind. I've been surprised at how much I like them. Much better than the turkeys.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have Embden and Toulouse - the Embden are more aggressive - but having said that the Embden are laying already so perhaps that is the reason, however, we sold an Embden male to our neighbours for his Christmas Dinner - he was extremely aggressive al year round! I did feel terrible about the demise of a goose that I raised from a tiny gosling but the 11 remaining (6 Toulouse and 5 Embden) are more subdued now!

I just love the Toulouse - they appear to have character and are so georgeous to look at!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by