Geese scratches?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CrystalWho, Apr 8, 2012.

1. CrystalWho

CrystalWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    My geese hate it when I hold them and sometimes they scratch me. The scratches are raised and red. this also happens with cats. does anyone know why this happens? just wondering.

2. plantcityhomestead

plantcityhomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Get some antibiotic ointment like Neosporin and apply to the scratches, they may be getting infected. The raised red area is inflammed because your body is reacting to the damage done to your skin, and the germs that have gotten in the area. After a scratch, always wash it well. Most times your body will take care of it, but if it gets painful or if there is puss, go to a doctor for antibiotics.

3. CrystalWho

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    ok, thanks.

4. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Think about where they walk. Their nails are basically like little hypodermic needles pushing bacteria into your skin.

Now this isn't to scare you. All animals do this. I have sugar gliders, ferrets, you name it, and I haven't died yet from their filthy little scratches. LOL A normal immune system will fight it off. But practice good hygiene and wash up after handling them, and especially if you get a bad (bleeds) scratch.

Me, I've learned to wear hoodies whenever I can bear it, weather-wise, before handling my ducks and other critters. Otherwise I look like a cutter!

5. CrystalWho

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    Yeah, I never thought of that! Okay, I am ALWAYS going to wash off my arms (not just hands) after trying to hold them!

6. CrystalWho

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    the also sometimes itch. Could that be some sort of allergic reaction? it wouldn't be surprising, I'm allergic to nearly everything outside.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Itching can also be a sign of healing. An allergic reaction would be an itching which develops quickly after the exposure to the allergen. Episodic itching as scratches heal is normal.

8. CrystalWho

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    ok, thanks. I just got some about and hour ago and they just started itching, so i guess they're healing. Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by