Geese shelter

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Joetee, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Joetee

Joetee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Ok I have three geese. 2 male and one female. They are about 15 months old. Winter is getting close.

I was thinking about making 3 separate 2 ft x 2 ft box shelters with a 2 ft x 2 ft covered porch attached.

But now I'm thinking maybe they would rather have a larger box big enough for the 3 of them together.

What do you all think?

2. Speilb

Speilb Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    I don't think they would be interested in going into separate boxes.

3. Joetee

Oct 6, 2015
    That's what I was thinking but needed to ask people with more experience than I.

4. Joetee

Oct 6, 2015
    It made since to me until I thought they go everywhere together. LOL

5. Speilb

Nov 3, 2014
    I don't know much about sheds. I have a large metal shed they go in at night. Some people use smaller units for nesting boxes which I might try this next year but in the past I just let them lay where they choose which is usually in the metal shed.

6. Joetee

Oct 6, 2015
    Well here in Kentucky it can be a very bitter winter with a lot of snow or it can be mild. You never now.
    So I'm gonna build them something small now and then a better house next yr.
    I think it will be about 4 ft x 5 ft box with a little 3 ft x 4 ft covered entryway. At least it's there if they need it or want it.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So they don't have a night shelter now? what are you doing to protect them from predators? They cannot protect themselves.

8. Joetee

Oct 6, 2015
    I have then in a fenced in area.I just got then about a month ago. I'm working on it. It's just been taking me time building the fence etc.

9. Speilb

Nov 3, 2014
    I currently lock mine up at night because my Barheaded Geese are quite small and expensive. That being said I have had geese that I haven't locked up at night and have never lost one. My friend has a huge property and he keeps a couple geese free range. He has Bald Eagles, Osprey, Bobcat, foxes and Coyotes. He did loose one in 2 years but it was nesting. I advised him not to let her sit but I think he missed her (She was a Pilgrim). I have noticed they stay close to the water at night and enjoy midnight swims.

10. Joetee

Oct 6, 2015
    It's crazy. I built a shelter and in these cold rainy days and nights, they still set around out side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by