1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Geese Took Late Night Walk !!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickbrad24, Apr 22, 2018.

1. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Songster

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. I need some advice.

So the weather finally started getting nice here in north east PA. So I took all my water fowl up to my pond yesterday. It's a pond in the middld of the woods with a fresh spring feeding into it and it's a good distance away from my house. So I took my Moscovy's, Ducks and 3 Embden geese. They all did fine and loved it. Well tonight I heard noise and low and behold my 3 geese decided to walk down the mountian trial during the night.

So I drove up to my pond to see if the ducks and Moscovy's were still there and they were. The geese stayed up there last night. My questions are why would they walk down at night ? Why didn't they stay up there ? They stayed up there last night. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on why my geese came back down.

Pictures of my geese up at my pond earlier today. 20180422_142433.jpg 20180422_142435.jpg

poultry person and Ducklover2 like this.
  2. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Interesting, sounds like a Sherlock Holmes mystery.... Maybe they just got homesick in the middle of the night...?

Duck Lover88 and Wickedchicken6 like this.
  3. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Songster

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I thought the same, I also thought maybe they came down so the goose could lay an egg in the coop but there was no egg this morning. I am going to walk them up again tomorrow morning and see if they stay up there.

Wickedchicken6 and Rondack like this.
  4. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    How far is the pond from the coop?

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing 5 Years

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Why do you want them to stay at the pond?
    They know there is safety and feed at home.

6. Rondack

Rondack Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Maybe they just wanted to eat?

7. The goose girl

The goose girl Songster 8 Years

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Geese feel safer when everything stays the same, and they take their time accepting changes. So my guess is they just wanted to get to their usual safe place when it got dark. They probably waited for you to come get them, and when you didn't, they started walking. And luckily they knew the way.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Letting them stay out at night is just asking for predator trouble. :( I agree with The goose girl they waited for you and when you didn't show up they walked home where they knew they'd be safe.

The goose girl likes this.
  9. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Songster

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    It's pretty far, It's about a 5 to 8 minute walk for me getting up there.
    I thought the geese would enjoy rhe pond. It seemed like they for 1 whole day and night before coming back. I also live with my in laws. Not big fans of the geese so I hate leaving them cooped up all day. Just thought they'd have a better life up at pur pond.

10. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Songster

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    We built a coop up there for the ducks and my Moscovy's. I got the geese to help protect my ducks up at my pond as the person I got them from said they help deter predators because they are territorial and loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: