Geese Toulouse or African? whats your pick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverfilly, Feb 15, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I am geting ready to put in an order to Cackle Hatchery, I want to get some geese and Im down to deciding between these 2, Anyone have experiences with these? What are their temperments? egg laying abilities? meat abilities?

Thanks

2. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    african geese, i have read that they are nice unlike the toulose which r mean

3. mbrown

mbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    North Florida
    I have african geese, and I love them! I don't know anything about Toulouse

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I would go with the toulouse they are calm the ebdens . Arent africans really loud

5. My Favorite goose breed has always been the Toulose , The ones we have had always came from Cackle Hatchery and always turn out to be big babies, of course i have 4 kids that play with all the chicks as they grow . Will be getting more of this breed from Cackle again this year !

6. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Oh boy I can see this is going to be a though desision!

7. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Do the toulouse from cackle hatchery have the dewlaps?

8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I dont think cackle sells the dewlap toulouse . YOu can tell by the price normal geese are like in the 5-10 range and the dewlaps are in th $50 lol

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If you're going for hatchery stock, then go with Africans, but you probably won't be able to tell the difference between African and Chinese with them. I was in LOVE with my exhibition Toulouse. The sweetest thing I'd ever seen. My male Chinese gander was an absolute doll as well. I'm sure it's because I handled them all more than I should have, but they were excellent pets.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Toulouse are very friendly, and calm, and also quieter than the africans. Africans are very loud obnoxious geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by