geese vs. coons?

AilsVonHelson

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
Orlando, FL.
Alright, so here in our area we have no major predators... but as we learned the hard way with some of our pullets/cockerels, Coons can be a major issue.

I was just wondering if racoons would be a risk for adult geese? (Adolency and there early weeks will be spent inside.) We have thinking of giving them a nice house but it'd be nice to see what sort of fortifications we need.

Thanks!

chickensducks&agoose :

my goose scares away the local foxes, not one free-ranged chicken/duck lost/injured since we got him.

The foxes have gotten my chickens and ducks, but the geese stay out 24/7 and the only one I ever lost was when the 50 mph winds blew her over the dog fence...needless to say the dogs had a mighty nice breakfast that day.
smack.gif

The coyotes don't even bother with the geese, maybe because there are so many? I have donkeys in there but obviously they didn't protect the chickens and ducks.
roll.png

no it would be rare for a fox or a coon to take on an adult goose

a coyote on the other hand will, duckboys ur donkey is what keeps ur geese safe from coyotes, a donkey is a coyotes worst nightmare they are very aggressive towards them, you might not think so but i have seen with my own eyes a sweet gentle donkey turn into a savage beast when 2 coyotes entered its field

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk leaving my geese out like that. They only free range when I can watch them. Theyre so big they can't fly away from free roaming dogs. they are all big babies even when a hawk flys overhead they about trample each other to get back in to safty.

Sarree

Neighbor just lost all 3 about 3 weeks ago. All slaughtered in 1 night. One lost its head after being pulled through a fence inside the barn. All 3 were inside the barn. One had its gizzard ripped out. They were too old to lay anymore. Had free-ranged their entire lives. They foung one up a tree 3 years ago without a head. Coons or owl? It was at night on both incidents. Hope this helps.

I see. Thanks for the help. I'm looking to get BIG geese. Dewlapped Toulouse or Africans is what I'm most interested in.

EDIT to add; They will have a shelter in there little area. I was just wondering if I had anything to worry about with predators just climbing over and slaughtering them. In my past experiences free-ranging has been great. but that was in the Caribbean where the biggest thing to worry about are either small birds of prey or stray dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom