Geese w PTSD?

GoneCrazy

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Recently my husband and I had a neighbors dog attack our feathered babies. She killed two of our birds and apparently really ruffled the others feathers. I have gotten my duckies over the fearof our pond but my 4 embdens(16 weeks) have really been traumatized. They WILL go to our pond but only w myself, the hubs or our teenager and even then they will stick to us like white on rice. My father has told me numerous times how smart they r so I am sure they see the pond as dangerous. However, it's 90+ degrees here and the humidity is awful so they need the water to cool off. Anyone have any ideas of what to do to help them?

Get a small kiddy pool or a black cement mixer pan they are a good size for the geese to cool off and swim in and help with the heat. Make sure to clean the pool daily for fresh water.

Recently my husband and I had a neighbors dog attack our feathered babies. She killed two of our birds and apparently really ruffled the others feathers. I have gotten my duckies over the fearof our pond but my 4 embdens(16 weeks) have really been traumatized. They WILL go to our pond but only w myself, the hubs or our teenager and even then they will stick to us like white on rice. My father has told me numerous times how smart they r so I am sure they see the pond as dangerous. However, it's 90+ degrees here and the humidity is awful so they need the water to cool off. Anyone have any ideas of what to do to help them?
And they do have good memories so it may take a long time for them to get over the trauma, Hope the neighbors dog has been taken care of too. So sorry for your losses. good idea on the pools and tubs till fear is gone.

Kiddie pool-check.....gross and disgusting by lunch....lol....

My mom suggested a sprinkler, Dad said a mister system and my lovely bro suggest Zoloft....lol

Hubs apparently has taken this too a whole new level....he is actually wading in the pond.....lol....
Said kayaking is his next step
I guess it's just baby steps......funniest part is that is didn't make them fearful of dogs or aggressive towards them....crazy birds

Kiddie pool-check.....gross and disgusting by lunch....lol....

My mom suggested a sprinkler, Dad said a mister system and my lovely bro suggest Zoloft....lol

Hubs apparently has taken this too a whole new level....he is actually wading in the pond.....lol....
Said kayaking is his next step
I guess it's just baby steps......funniest part is that is didn't make them fearful of dogs or aggressive towards them....crazy birds
hubs is good man. let us know when he launches the kayak. lol another thing to watch for and you probably already know is snapping turtles on the duck thread we see a lot of snapper attacks and some end up with death or life threatening injuries. they go after babies as well as adults biting off chinks of feet and body. doesn't sound like anything I would want to happen to my flock. What ever happened to the dog? curious because always a chance it may come back for seconds.

Hubs was generous and told the nieghbors they could bring the dogs down onleashes and teach them to leave the birds alone.....that was after the first time we noticed the dog cornering one of my rouens, they didn't.....so kids just kept chasing her off...but they have been infformed that if they can't control my husband will be forced to take matters into his own hands(the 22)....haven't seen her since....crazy part is that they ask us to put our birds up so they can let her off her lead....ugh....we spent 400 bucks for an invisible fence to contain our dogs on a 3 acre lot and we have taught them that our birds rnt toys. My dachshund and Frogger(an embolden) will actually run together. I just don't get it. They control their 6 other dogs in their fence that was supposedly 8 grand and they have 4 acres.....I just want their animals to stay away. I'm an animal lover and struggle when I kill anything(won't even kill wasps and bees, make hubs take care of it if need be). I cried cleaning a catfish one night, cried for hrs when the dog killed my chicken and turkey. I just think if u really love ur animals u control them.

Hubs was generous and told the nieghbors they could bring the dogs down onleashes and teach them to leave the birds alone.....that was after the first time we noticed the dog cornering one of my rouens, they didn't.....so kids just kept chasing her off...but they have been infformed that if they can't control my husband will be forced to take matters into his own hands(the 22)....haven't seen her since....crazy part is that they ask us to put our birds up so they can let her off her lead....ugh....we spent 400 bucks for an invisible fence to contain our dogs on a 3 acre lot and we have taught them that our birds rnt toys. My dachshund and Frogger(an embolden) will actually run together. I just don't get it. They control their 6 other dogs in their fence that was supposedly 8 grand and they have 4 acres.....I just want their animals to stay away. I'm an animal lover and struggle when I kill anything(won't even kill wasps and bees, make hubs take care of it if need be). I cried cleaning a catfish one night, cried for hrs when the dog killed my chicken and turkey. I just think if u really love ur animals u control them.
I agree 100%, and understand what you are saying. I hate it when it comes down to taking matters into our own hands. Hopefully they will continue to heed the warning. and forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks, this site has been so helpful....anytime something seems odd I can consult the boards and gain some comfort that it's normal....it's garunteed to be the first thing that pops up if I Google anything about my feathered babies

Back
Top Bottom