geese waterers in winter?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
what do you guys use as a waterer in the winter for you geese? i was thinking of getting a rubber bowl for my goose but will my goose be ok if it freezes in the winter and i break the ice a few times each day or should i just use something thats heated?

The rubber tub should be ok , if you are close to an outlet use a heated dog bowl , I've done both. Today is going to be 100 degrees so ice sounds good.

I use the heated 5 gal. buckets too, they work better for geese. I use the heated bowls for my ducks and chickens but geese need more water it seems and like to dunk their heads so they get buckets.

I use the 5 gallon electric heated buckets in the winter too.My geese drink alot of water throughout the winter months too and I wouldn't want to have to worry that their water bucket is freezing over and them go without water when I'm at work.

Quote:
If the electric cord is where they can reach it armor it with either a old split hose or the smaller size of water pipe insulation. geese love to chew on plastic or rubber. even with the armor be sure to check it once per week, I swear their bills come equipped with wire cutters. They are much more likely to chew on things in the winter when they have time on their hands so to speak.

I bought 2 gallon electric buckets that had chew proof wiring wrapped around the electrical cord for the poultry when I lived in north Idaho. I think they were around twenty bucks a piece. I left one unplugged accidentally and the bottom cracked in the cold, ruining the bucket.

Quote:
If the electric cord is where they can reach it armor it with either a old split hose or the smaller size of water pipe insulation. geese love to chew on plastic or rubber. even with the armor be sure to check it once per week, I swear their bills come equipped with wire cutters. They are much more likely to chew on things in the winter when they have time on their hands so to speak.

Goosedragon has mentioned something that needs to be considered. In fact I had geese chew pipe insulation so feel the rubber hose or a piece of pvc pipe is a better idea. They don't have teeth but come equipped with chain saws and will chew just for the heck of it. They also do not need open water 24/7, especially if it's getting dirty. In that case at least twice a day so that they can drink, clean their eyeballs and preen is good enough.

What I do is I just have a water bucket and every morning then I go down to the coop and poor hot water in the bucket and it unfreezes it!

Back
Top Bottom