Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Geesegirl5, May 22, 2019.

1. Geesegirl5

Geesegirl5 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    I currently have 4 five week old Geese that I LOVE! This is my first time raising Geese. We, obviously, have noticed the amount of poop that they created. Most of what they poop in their house goes in the compost bin but when they free range in the yard, that is a lot harder to keep up with. We know that they will get a lot bigger and as a result so will their poop. I was wondering how others were able to deal with this or clean up their yard if they free ranged their geese?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Following, :pop, my geese are coming next week.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. The goose girl

The goose girl Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I let the poop dry and then rake it up. But most of the time I just leave it. With the rain it'll water down into the lawn in time. Given the size of my lawn, it's not that big a problem, although you do have to check before you sit - or bring a chair.

Geesegirl5 and bluemerle like this.
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    Congrats on your geese! How about a pic or two? :D

How large is the area that they'll free range? If you have a couple of acres, you probably won't even notice their poop unless they hang out a lot in one area (like near a pool).

I have a dozen Pilgrim goslings, some are just over two weeks old and the others are six weeks old. The youngest are on pasture in a secure tractor during the day - moved 3xday - and cooped at night. The grassy areas where their tractors were get pretty poopy, but, like @The goose girl said, it dries up nicely and (if left) fertilizes the grass.

The older ones are in a secure tractor 24/7 now, but will be able to free range when they're a little older. Since they're such good grazers, I'll be setting up rotational grazing with movable poultry netting. And if I get enough geese, maybe I can stop mowing the lawn! :lau

bluemerle likes this.
  5. Geesegirl5

May 22, 2019

Attached Files:

6. Geesegirl5

May 22, 2019
    They are African Geese and so cute! They literally follow me everywhere

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    Adorable!! :love It's fun when they follow you around. Four geese should produce a manageable amount of poop...and your grass should be happy. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: