Geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Chickenhatcher89, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I have been considering hatching a few geese but have a few questions about geese since I have never had them before. Would they be able to free-range with my horses, goats, and cats? I have 4 acres with a small stream so was wondering if they would actually stay on the land. If they could free-range what would be the best breed of goose to get for this?
    Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mine freerange just fine. They go swimming in the pond, and walk around eating the grass all day. Toulouse geese are good about staying close.

3. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Can the geese be left out all the time with a little shed or do they have to be locked up at night?

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I can say what NOT to get if you have small children. Chinese geese are loud and tend to be bossy.
    Especially when the hen sets on her nest my male will chase me away. They could seriously injure you if they tried.
    I liked mine until they started getting mean. The hen grabs my shoes and pant legs and tugs on them. Yikes to wearing shorts this summer!

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I do lock them up at night. I use a very large dog pen. I do have 2 extra males that I have to leave out during breeding season. But they have never been attacked, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by