1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Geetings from Seattle

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kelehe, Jun 15, 2011.

1. kelehe

kelehe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Greeting all from Seattle. In the past several months I have learned that many of my co-workers have chickens, one in particular I chat with often. I was curious, love animals and fresh eggs, so...we (well, I persuaded "we") decided to get chickens about 7 weeks ago. I picked my friend's brain for preparation and researched everything I could about how to proceed. One of the resources recommended to me was BackYardChickens.com (yea!) We scouted out the local resources and found some batches due in at a feed store in Issaquah on May 20. After learning about all of the breeds available, we chose a variety with different appearances and egg colors. We built a brooder with a super heavy duty lid, just in case the racoons managed to pick the lock to the tool shed (my concern for safety is perhaps excessive).

We arrived Saturday morning at the feed store to find our well planned choices of 4 breeds to be shattered, as they were down to only 5 of about 20 breeds they had. Of course there was only Ameraucanas left of the ones we decided and 4 that we didn't research. So we did some last minute phone-net searching and picked out 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Black Andalusian, 1 Golden Hamburg and 1 Golden Lakenvelder. On the way home I realized that aside from the Ameraucanas, all of the others laid white eggs. realizing that we couldn't possibly live without brown eggs, I called another feed store and they had Silver Wyandottes, so we swung by there and picked up the last one.

We tended our new babies carefully, fearing the worst at every turn. Somehow, they all have survived and only in the last couple of days has a problem arisen (feather picking). I built them a larger brooder box until we finish the coop/run we are building as an addition to the tool shed (how is it that I always envision it taking 2 weekends and we're only half way done 4 weeks later?) We have finally named them all: Eva (the Hamburg), Mirabella (the Andalusian), Helen (the Wyandotte), Goldie (the Lakenvelder), Bertie and Gertie (the Ameraucanas). Along the way, I have shown thema few times to our dog, Maggie, a terrier/lab mix. She is curious and plays intersted, but restrained, however, I know she will eat them if she gets a chance. We planted a small vegetable garden around the same time we brought home the chicks. We plan to build a triple compost bin after the coop/run project so we can use the chicken manure for compost for the garden.

That's our chicken story...so far...thanks for having an awesome website and forum.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Great intro. You will like it here.

Imp in Renton

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! [​IMG] Welcome from western Kentucky! You'll fit in here just fine.... [​IMG] Pull up a nice comfy chair and let's get acquainted! There's so much to see and do, so much to learn, so many friendly folks to meet, so many jokes and so much good-natured ribbing and banter passed around... [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow, you are one of the few folks who actually did research before diving into chicken-keeping! [​IMG]

I was only interested in the color/appearance of the CHICKENS because eggs weren't the first reason I wanted chickens. I discovered I liked dual purpose birds as opposed to "layer" breeds, because I like chunky chickens. Well, at least chickens with fluffy butts even as grown ups. They make me laugh when they run! I also suspected I wouldn't be able to tell 'em apart if there were any duplicate breeds, so my first 8 chicks were all different dual-purpose breeds.

Imp is right; you're gonna love it here!

[​IMG]

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

7. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.
    You'll love it here, fantastic group of people and very helpful.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    welcome from ct.!!!! [​IMG] Seattle is soooo pretty, My brother lives near Bonney Lake!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by