Gelatenous Red/Orange in New Chick Poop! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hllewellyn, Aug 5, 2014.

1. hllewellyn

hllewellyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi!

I am new to the site and even though I've kept birds for many years (and I'm sure I have seen this in young chicks) I am very worried about my young O-Shamo cockerel. I bought him on the weekend and he is my only bird right now (I'm just building the flock up again after moving). I let him out in the yard for exercise but he's rarely unattended as I'm worried about him eating the plants and getting sick. Yesterday I noticed that his stool is very watery, and today each stool seems to have a deep orange gelatenous blob in it. I haven't seen him eat any plants but now I'm worried that he has! He seems fine in himself but when he's not busying around he stands with his feathers fluffed up a little.

Has anyone else seen this in a few month old cockerel chick? Is it normal or something non life threatening?.... Or worse!

Thanks in advance.

2. hllewellyn

Aug 5, 2014
    P.s. O-shamos rarely show when they sick or injured so he may be feeling a lot worse than he looks!

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would treat him with amprolium/corid as soon as possible...he may well have coccidiosis...poop like your description and him having fluffed up feathers are typical of this disease...it kills if left untreated...

4. hllewellyn

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi! Thanks for the reply, I have researched coccidiosis and it does fit in some respects (the chick was from healthy stock but was hen pecked by bigger siblings so is much smaller, and failure to thrive is one of the symptoms).. Although, my bird is still eating and drinking normally.. He only fluffs up when he's outside so I'm hoping he was just cold...I also read that it is normal for them to shed their intestinal lining and this appears as a gelatinous blob of red. I'm not sure whether it is blood as it isn't mixing with the rest of the stool and stays as a firm shiny blob.. What do you think?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with Suzie. Since he is new to your soil, he may be exposed to a new strain of coccidia. There is no harm in treating him with Corid or amprollium, for coccidiosis. His puffing up outside, and the runny stools sound like he could have it. Only 2 of 9 strains of cocci cause bright red blood in stools.

6. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    I also believe this is coccidiodis. Treat with amprolium 5-7 days in the water. The blood can either look like the orange or red gelatinous blobs or as bright red thin blood. Jump on this quickly and your bird should do just fine. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. hllewellyn

Aug 5, 2014
    Thanks both, I have just ordered some amprolium which will be delivered tomorrow (hopefully!). Hopefully this has just been going on for a day or so - and he didn't come to me already affected or god knows how long he's been struggling with it! Ill let you know how it goes - thanks again.

8. hllewellyn

Aug 5, 2014
    Update: he's been on the meds for a few days but I swear he's drinking about half the volume of water now its got medication in it! I put a small scoop in a litre of water and fill up his water bowl with it whenever needs be. His poop is still odd during the day (sometimes with a load of clear water, sometimes gelatenous and sometimes cecal looking) but during the night it look a perfectly normal! He's happy and perky and already coming on quicker than expected. I feed him as much fruit and veg as I can with a constant supply of corn.

I want to worm him as well - does anyone know of a wormer that's suitable for chicks? I think he's maybe a couple of months old and is a tall lanky thing.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

That type/frequency of poop, in my experience, has meant worms, not cocci. But I've also not dealt with cocci.

On another note, I think you should look into improving his diet.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by