Gelatinous Eggs

Heyjenn0211

Hatching
Jan 18, 2022
Can anyone help me figure out why I got these 2 strange eggs today? One is regular sized & gelatinous, the other is very small (grape sized) and gelatinous. I think the smaller one is called a “fart egg” but I’m not positive… TIA

Attachments

• F00E2C83-E573-4D47-84EB-16F7DC3C8375.jpeg
    F00E2C83-E573-4D47-84EB-16F7DC3C8375.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 12
How old are your hens? Do they have a free choice calcium source - oyster shells or crushed eggshells?
I have 4 hens that are 3.5 years old and 4 newer hens that are 8 months old. We completely stopped having any production over the summer when we introduced the new hens to the flock. Around a month ago we started getting about 5 eggs/week. Yesterday we got 8 eggs in 1 day. I thought we might have turned the corner. Today we got 3 good eggs & 2 funky eggs. They free range during the day & have access to our compost which has eggshells in it. We did add oyster shells last summer. Do you think they need more calcium? Have you head of a “egg fart”? I appreciate any advice!!!

It could be the young hens are starting to lay. Pullets can lay some pretty strange eggs at first. I've had one that layed eggs without shells (like you picture) and even without the membrane. After a few weird eggs she layed normal hard-shelled eggs. Access to the eggshells on the compost and oyster shells should be enough. My guess on the "egg fart" as you called it is maybe an egg without a yolk. the color on that one is a little odd though.

Back
Top Bottom